Period of Rotation for Artificial Gravity on Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of artificial gravity and how it can be achieved on a spatial station. The main focus is on determining the period of rotation needed for a cabin to experience a gravitational field similar to that on Earth. The conversation also delves into the different forces involved, such as normal force, gravity, and centrifugal force. The person seeking help is still unsure of what forces are present and how they relate to each other in this scenario.
astrololo

Homework Statement

What must be the period of rotation of a spatial station so that artificial gravity in a cabin that is 45 m of radius from the axis of ration corresponds to gravitational field at the surface of Earth ?

Homework Equations

T=(2(pi)r)/v
Sum of forces r prime = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I have the following two forces : normal and gravitational force.

so :

n+mg=(mv^2)/r

After that I don't know what to do. The situation is btw a circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what environment is there both a gravitational force and a required centripetal force? (Or, if you prefer, a gravitational force and a centrifugal force.)

haruspex said:
In what environment is there both a gravitational force and a required centripetal force? (Or, if you prefer, a gravitational force and a centrifugal force.)
I'm not sure of understanding the question...

astrololo said:
I'm not sure of understanding the question...
You posted this equation:
astrololo said:
n+mg=(mv^2)/r
You have both gravitational force and centripetal force in there, and a normal force. Did you draw any free body diagrams? Did you find all three of those forces acting in one diagram?

haruspex said:
You posted this equation:

You have both gravitational force and centripetal force in there, and a normal force. Did you draw any free body diagrams? Did you find all three of those forces acting in one diagram?
That's the problem, I'm not even sure what forces there are supposed to be. I don't even think there needs to be "mg" maybe only the normal force.

astrololo said:
That's the problem, I'm not even sure what forces there are supposed to be. I don't even think there needs to be "mg" maybe only the normal force.
You need to compare two scenarios, on board the space station versus standing on Earth. It is to feel the same to the person in each case. Since we are dealing with matters from the observers point of view, it makes sense to treat the space station case using centrifugal force.
Is there gravity in the space station case?
Is there centrifugal force in the surface case (ignoring the spin of the Earth)?
So what forces are there in each case?

haruspex said:
You need to compare two scenarios, on board the space station versus standing on Earth. It is to feel the same to the person in each case. Since we are dealing with matters from the observers point of view, it makes sense to treat the space station case using centrifugal force.
Is there gravity in the space station case?
Is there centrifugal force in the surface case (ignoring the spin of the Earth)?
So what forces are there in each case?
Since we want to imitate the gravity of earth, then I assume we're going to consider that mg exists. So yeah, there's gravity. There's for sure a normal also.

astrololo said:
Since we want to imitate the gravity of earth, then I assume we're going to consider that mg exists. So yeah, there's gravity. There's for sure a normal also.
Why would we need to imitate gravity if it exists?

haruspex said:
Why would we need to imitate gravity if it exists?
Sorry, but I forgot to specify that this station turn on itself (Around its axis) I think that by doing this, we create an artificial gravity and the questions asks for one that is the same as the one on earth. So we must have 9.8

astrololo said:
Sorry, but I forgot to specify that this station turn on itself (Around its axis) I think that by doing this, we create an artificial gravity and the questions asks for one that is the same as the one on earth. So we must have 9.8
Yes, we are creating an artificial gravity, but it is not gravity. The astronaut is to feel a force that is like gravity. But what actually is that force?

haruspex said:
Yes, we are creating an artificial gravity, but it is not gravity. The astronaut is to feel a force that is like gravity. But what actually is that force?
Mmmmh... i don't know tbh.

astrololo said:
Mmmmh... i don't know tbh.
I need you to answer another question: have you been taught only to use inertial reference frames, or are you comfortable dealing with the concept of fictitious forces, such as centrifugal?

1. What is the "period of rotation" for artificial gravity on Earth?

The period of rotation for artificial gravity on Earth is the amount of time it takes for an object to complete one full rotation around an axis. In the case of artificial gravity, this refers to the rotation of a space station or spacecraft in order to simulate the effects of gravity on astronauts.

2. How does the period of rotation affect artificial gravity on Earth?

The period of rotation directly affects the strength of artificial gravity experienced by individuals on a rotating object. The faster the rotation, the stronger the simulated gravity will be. However, too fast of a rotation can cause negative effects on the human body, such as motion sickness.

3. What is the ideal period of rotation for artificial gravity on Earth?

The ideal period of rotation for artificial gravity on Earth is a subject of ongoing research and debate. Some studies suggest that a period of rotation between 1 to 2 minutes would be most comfortable for humans, while others propose a slightly longer period of 2 to 3 minutes. Ultimately, the ideal period of rotation may vary for different individuals.

4. Can the period of rotation for artificial gravity on Earth be adjusted?

Yes, the period of rotation for artificial gravity on Earth can be adjusted. This can be achieved by changing the speed of rotation of the object or by changing the radius of rotation. However, any adjustments must be carefully considered to avoid negative effects on the human body.

5. What are the potential benefits of artificial gravity on Earth?

Artificial gravity has the potential to help mitigate the negative effects of microgravity on astronauts during long-term space missions. It can also aid in the development of technologies for future space exploration, as well as provide a more comfortable environment for astronauts living and working in space.