2 astronauts near a space station (no rotation)

In summary, the conversation discusses a space station in the form of a hollow cylinder with a symmetrical axis and two astronauts positioned at different points. The first part of the conversation focuses on calculating the force exerted by the space station on the astronauts using Newton's law of gravitation. The second part involves calculating the speed at which the second astronaut will hit the first astronaut after letting go, using the potential energy of the cylinder. The conversation also mentions using different variables and equations to solve the problem. However, it is not clear if the calculations are correct or not.
redivider

Homework Statement

You have a space station in space far from any planets or stars in form of a hollow cylinder with inner radius R1 outer R2 length L and density Rho. On a symetric axis z are 2 astronauts, 1 at the middle and the second at distance H=2L from the center of the bottom of the station. They both have mass m. http://puu.sh/tcfBz/001aed5f96.png

001aed5f96.png

a) with what force does the space station act on the first and the second astronaut? b) Second astronaut let's go (initial velocity = 0). With what speed does he hit the first astronaut?

Constants are given to get numerical answers.
m=80kg, rho=50kg/m^3, R_1=1km, R_2=2km, L=1km

Masses of the astronauts are negligible compared to the mass of the station.

Homework Equations

F=GmM/r^2
U=GmM/r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part using Newtons grav law, the second part would be too ugly I thought with the line integral of the force over the whole path, so I tried attacking it with potential. I don't have the solution for this so I am wondering what you think, how "correct" this is.

(theres some variable swaps/using different/same variables for different/same stuff, would just like to know how correct this sounds like/thought process)
This is the axial force from 1(ONE) disk, radius: "R" height: "h", mass point height over its highest center point: "a" http://puu.sh/tcoq2/0a837d4f7b.jpg . The lower equation (F=) has to be integrated over all disks (*da right side, and /h right side) from a=a to a+h to get the cylinder, then you have to subtract the force of the smaller one from the bigger one to get the actual hollow cylinder of the space station. Force on the astro in the center is 0.

For the second part the relevant thing from the following pics is the circled equation http://puu.sh/tiShP/2375fde8a0.jpg , which is supposed to be my grav potential of 1(ONE) cylinder at the point "a" above it. I tried some mumbo jumbo stuff and changed to b=h/2+a so that its in terms of the distance from the middle of the cylinder (being b), since I realized fast that its going to change differently, depending if the point is INSIDE or OUTSIDE of the cylinder.

But after a while, I *think* I only need the outside version so I can then say all the potential went to kinetic energy mv^2/2=U. So after that integration from a=a to a+h you get that long expression at the end with arsinh-s and all that. Then you subtract the same integral but for the smaller cylinder from the bigger one and equate with mv^2/2. http://puu.sh/tiQwf/41ae9748d2.jpg Putting that into mathematica because my calc runs out of buffer space got: (v in m/s=cca. 0.09) http://puu.sh/tiPxU/672f14734d.png how correct/wrong does that seem like? Help appreciated in advance. (oh and also I swapped R_1 and R_2; R_2 being the smaller instead of the bigger radius, just notation; also L=h)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check the calculations with cases where you can find other approximations, e. g. the potential difference between two points far away from the cylinder (so its deviation from a sphere doesn't matter)?
Does the derivative of your potential agree with the force calculated before?

1. What is the purpose of having two astronauts near a space station?

The purpose of having two astronauts near a space station is to perform tasks and experiments that cannot be done from inside the station. This could include spacewalks, repairing equipment, or conducting research in the vacuum of space.

2. How far away from the space station can the astronauts go?

The distance that the astronauts can go from the space station depends on the length of their tethers and the capabilities of their spacesuits. Generally, astronauts are able to venture several hundred feet away from the station during a spacewalk.

3. How do the astronauts communicate with each other and the space station?

The astronauts use a variety of communication methods to stay connected with each other and the space station. This includes radios, headsets, and hand signals. They also have the ability to communicate through the space station's communication systems.

4. What safety precautions do the astronauts take while near the space station?

The astronauts follow strict safety protocols while near the space station. This includes being tethered to the station at all times, wearing spacesuits with built-in safety features, and constantly communicating with each other and the station. They also undergo extensive training to prepare for any potential hazards.

5. How long can the astronauts stay near the space station?

The length of time that the astronauts can stay near the space station depends on the purpose of their mission and the capabilities of their spacecraft. Generally, astronauts stay for a few hours during a spacewalk, but they can also stay for several days if they are performing tasks or experiments outside of the station.