Calculating Area of Ellipsoid: Surfaces of Revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of rotating an ellipse about the x-axis to form an ellipsoid. The area of this surface is determined by solving for y, finding the derivative, and plugging it into the formula for surface of revolution. After simplification, the formula becomes \frac{\pi}{2} \int \sqrt{16-3x^2} dx. The conversation also mentions a formula for solving this integral, but the speaker is unsure if it is the correct method. They then discuss different approaches and substitutions to simplify the integral, ultimately arriving at 8\pi + \frac{4\pi(sin^-^1(3/2)-sin^-^1(-3/2))}{3} as
Lanza52
Consider the ellipse:

[tex] (\frac{x}{2})^2 + y^2 = 1 [/tex]

We rotate this ellipse about the x-axis to form a surface known as ellipsoid. Determine the area of this surface.

Start off by solving for y.

[tex] y = \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} [/tex]

Then find the derivative.

[tex]y' = \frac{-x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

Then plug into the formula for surface of revolution.

[tex] S = \int 2\pi y \sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx [/tex]

[tex] 2 \pi \int \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} \sqrt{1+(\frac{-x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}})^2} dx [/tex]

Plenty of simplifications later yields

[tex] \frac{\pi}{2} \int \sqrt{16-3x^2} dx [/tex]

Now I haven't found that anti-derivative yet but just looking at it tells you its going to be extremely ugly. But all I remember my professor showing us in class was beautiful little problems that come out to [tex]\int 4x dx [/tex] or something simple like that. So that makes me think I'm wrong.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I found a formula for it but I am not really sure how to show the working for it. But here is the formula

[tex]\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} dx =\frac{1}{2}(x\sqrt{a^2-x^2}+a^2sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a}))+ c[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
Well I found a formula for it but I am not really sure how to show the working for it. But here is the formula

[tex]\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} dx =\frac{1}{2}(x\sqrt{a^2-x^2}+a^2sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a}))+ c[/tex]

I trust you that it works but we haven't been taught to use that formula yet, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have us use it.

I'm thinking I got something wrong in getting from the initial plug into the end simplification.

Thanks tho =P

AH seems that I should actually work out the problems more...when I did it...the end result was less complicated than what you had...you did some wrong algebra in there

rock.freak667 said:
AH seems that I should actually work out the problems more...when I did it...the end result was less complicated than what you had...you did some wrong algebra in there

Hrmm...any hints? Been through it a few times and all I have changed is a positive to a negative and a negative to a positive. Haven't found anything to make it easier.

Well it seems i made a mistake..twice...i keep getting what you initially had..the only help i can suggest is

[tex]\frac{\pi}{x}\int \sqrt{16-(\sqrt{3}x)^2} dx[/tex]

Let [tex](\sqrt{3})x=4sin\theta[/tex] and work from there...but since it is a surface area of revolution I would expect some limits so then it would be easy from here

So after playing with it and using that substitution I get to
[tex]8\pi + \frac{4\pi(sin^-^1(3/2)-sin^-^1(-3/2))}{3}[/tex]

Can't help but think I got something wrong in there.

Related to Calculating Area of Ellipsoid: Surfaces of Revolution

What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional curve or shape around an axis.

What are some examples of surfaces of revolution?

Some examples of surfaces of revolution include a sphere, cone, cylinder, torus, and paraboloid.

How are surfaces of revolution used in real life?

Surfaces of revolution are used in various applications such as architecture, engineering, and design. They can also be found in nature, such as the shape of a seashell or a spiral galaxy.

What mathematical equations are used to describe surfaces of revolution?

The equations used to describe surfaces of revolution depend on the specific shape being rotated. For example, a sphere can be described by the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, where r is the radius. A cone can be described by the equation x^2 + y^2 = (z/h)^2, where h is the height.

How are surfaces of revolution different from other three-dimensional shapes?

Unlike other three-dimensional shapes, surfaces of revolution have rotational symmetry. This means that they look the same when rotated around a central axis. They also have a smooth and continuous surface, making them ideal for applications where aerodynamics or flow is important.