Calculating Arc Length for Polar Curve r = theta^(2)

In summary, to find the length of r = theta^(2) for 0<=theta<=pi, you can use the arc length formula and rewrite the function as \sqrt{\theta^4 +4\theta^2} = \theta \sqrt{\theta^2 +4}. Then, you can use a trig substitution or look it up in a list of integrals of irrational functions.
stau40

Homework Statement

Find the length of r = theta^(2) for 0<=theta<=pi

Homework Equations

Arc length s = antiderivative of sq rt (f (theta)^(2) + f (derivative theta)^(2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked my way to the antiderivative of sq rt (theta^(4) + 4(theta)^(2)) but I'm not sure where to go from here. I've been looking for a trig identity that will help me thru the antiderivative and get rid of the sq. rt but haven't had any luck. Is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could rewrite it as

[tex] \sqrt{\theta^4 +4\theta^2} = \theta \sqrt{\theta^2 +4}[/tex]

and use a trig substitution or look it up in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_irrational_functions"

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it, thanks!

Related to Calculating Arc Length for Polar Curve r = theta^(2)

What is a polar arc length?

A polar arc length is the distance between two points on a polar curve, measured along the curve.

How is polar arc length calculated?

Polar arc length can be calculated using the formula L = ∫√(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2)dθ, where r is the polar radius and θ is the angle of rotation.

What is the difference between arc length and polar arc length?

Arc length is the distance between two points on a curve, measured along a straight line. Polar arc length takes into account the curvature of the polar curve, and is measured along the curve itself.

What are some real-world applications of polar arc length?

Polar arc length has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a projectile, the length of a curved road, or the orbit of a planet.

What are some limitations of using polar arc length?

Polar arc length calculations can become complex for more complicated polar curves. Additionally, if the polar curve is not well-defined or has multiple branches, it may be difficult to determine the correct arc length. In these cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate the arc length.