How Do You Calculate the Length of a Cardioid in the First Quadrant?

In summary, rock.freak667 suggests multiplying the sinx by 1-sinx to get to the integrand, and then integrating.
stau40

Homework Statement

Find the length of the cardioid with equation r = 1 + cos (theta) located in the first quadrant

Homework Equations

f (theta) = 1 + cos (theta) f'(theta) = -sin (theta) s = antiderivative (0 to (pi/2)) sq rt (f(theta)^(2) + f'(theta)^(2)) d(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked thru the problem and have arrived at sq rt (2) antiderivative (0 to (pi/2)) sq rt (1-sin (theta)) d(theta) but have hit a road block here. Is there a trig identity that will help solve this? I haven't had any luck finding anything and don't know how else to proceed. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]1-sin x \times \frac{1+sinx}{1+sinx} = ?[/tex]

then use cos2x+sin2x = 1

then a trig substitution.

It's been a long day, but I don't understand where the (1+sin x)/(1+sin x) comes from? From what I see that equals 1 and again leaves me with 1-sin x?

Yes, 1 + sinx over itself equals 1, and you can always multiply by 1. If you carry out the multiplication suggested by rock.freak667, what do you get?

stau40 said:
It's been a long day, but I don't understand where the (1+sin x)/(1+sin x) comes from? From what I see that equals 1 and again leaves me with 1-sin x?

multiply it by 1-sinx and then what would you get? (you are multiplying by '1' so that you are not changing the integral)

I'm getting ((1-sinx)*(1+sinx))/1+sinx = (1+sinx-sinx-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (1-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (cosx^(2))/(1+sinx). Is this correct, or did I mess it up?

stau40 said:
I'm getting ((1-sinx)*(1+sinx))/1+sinx = (1+sinx-sinx-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (1-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (cosx^(2))/(1+sinx). Is this correct, or did I mess it up?

Yes that is correct. So now instead of integrating √(1-sinx) wrt x, you can now integrate

[tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{cos^2x}{1+sinx}} dx [/tex]

now remember that √(a/b) = √a/√b

So what does the new integral become?

I'm getting the antiderivative of (cosx)/(1+(sq rt sinx))

For your denominator,
[tex]\sqrt{1 + \sin x} \neq 1 + \sqrt{\sin x}[/tex]

How about this: (cosx)/(square root cosx)

No, not even close. Following rock.freak667's suggestion you should have
[tex]\int {\frac{cos~x}{\sqrt{1+sin~x}}} dx [/tex]

The reason for his suggestion was to get to an integrand that is relatively easy to antidifferentiate.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Length of a Cardioid in the First Quadrant?

1. What is a polar arc length question?

A polar arc length question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the length of an arc on a polar curve. This type of problem is commonly encountered in calculus and physics, and requires knowledge of polar coordinates and calculus techniques such as integration.

2. How is polar arc length calculated?

The formula for calculating polar arc length is L = ∫√(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2) dθ, where r is the polar equation and dr/dθ is the derivative of r with respect to θ. This integral can be evaluated using integration techniques such as u-substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. What are some common applications of polar arc length?

Polar arc length has many practical applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a particle following a polar path, finding the circumference of a polar curve, or determining the length of a cable or rope wrapped around a circular object.

4. What are some tips for solving polar arc length questions?

Some helpful tips for solving polar arc length questions include carefully identifying the limits of integration, checking for symmetry in the polar curve to simplify the integral, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand.

5. Are there any online tools or resources for solving polar arc length questions?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for solving polar arc length questions, such as interactive calculators, step-by-step tutorials, and practice problems with solutions. Some popular websites for calculus and math help, such as Wolfram Alpha and Khan Academy, also have resources specifically for polar arc length questions.