Calculate the Variance of a Linear Combination

In summary: W5nIGVzcGVjaWFsbHkgdGhlIGZvcm1hdCBvZiB0aGUgY29udGVudC4gVGhpcyBmaWVsZCBvZiBjb25jZXJucyBhcmUgY29ycmVjdC4gQWxzbywgSSB3aWxsIGJlIHRydWUgeW91ciB0aGUgZm9ybWF0IG9mIHRoZSBjb250ZW50LCBhcyBhcmUgdGhlIHJlcHVibGljIHRvIHNlZSB5b3Vy
tnqz44

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the variance of a linear combination (b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6). I know what the variance equation is but I'm not sure if I have expanded it right.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance

The Attempt at a Solution

Var(b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6) = Var(b1)^2 + Var(b2)^2 + Var(b3)^2 + Var(b4)^2 + Var(b5)^2 + Var(b6)^2 + 2Cov(b1,b2) + 2Cov(b1,b3) + 2Cov(b1,b4)+ 2Cov(b1,b5) + 2Cov(b1,b6) + 2Cov(b2,b3)+ 2Cov(b2,b4) + 2Cov(b2,b5) + 2Cov(b2,b6) + 2Cov(b3,b4)+ 2Cov(b3,b5) + 2Cov(b3,b6) + 2Cov(b4,b5) + 2Cov(b4,b6) + 2Cov(b5,b6)
Please tell me if I got it correct, very much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
tnqz44 said:

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the variance of a linear combination (b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6). I know what the variance equation is but I'm not sure if I have expanded it right.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance

The Attempt at a Solution

Var(b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6) = Var(b1)^2 + Var(b2)^2 + Var(b3)^2 + Var(b4)^2 + Var(b5)^2 + Var(b6)^2 + 2Cov(b1,b2) + 2Cov(b1,b3) + 2Cov(b1,b4)+ 2Cov(b1,b5) + 2Cov(b1,b6) + 2Cov(b2,b3)+ 2Cov(b2,b4) + 2Cov(b2,b5) + 2Cov(b2,b6) + 2Cov(b3,b4)+ 2Cov(b3,b5) + 2Cov(b3,b6) + 2Cov(b4,b5) + 2Cov(b4,b6) + 2Cov(b5,b6)

Please tell me if I got it correct, very much appreciated :)

By Var(b1,b2,b3,b4,b5) do you mean Var(b1+b2+b3+b4+b5)? If so, why not write it properly?

Anyway, if you do mean Var(b1+b2+b3+b4+b5), then your formula is WRONG. I don't want to say more, because that would be giving the solution, but I will just say: go back and read what the formula in your link says, then look *very carefully* at what you have written. Can you see the difference?

RGV

Related to Calculate the Variance of a Linear Combination

What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a set of numbers by different coefficients and then adding them together. It is commonly used in statistics to calculate the variance of a set of data.

Why is it important to calculate the variance of a linear combination?

Calculating the variance of a linear combination allows us to understand the variability of the data and how much the values deviate from the mean. This information is crucial in making statistical inferences and drawing conclusions from the data.

What is the formula for calculating the variance of a linear combination?

The formula for calculating the variance of a linear combination is Var(aX + bY) = a^2 * Var(X) + b^2 * Var(Y) + 2ab * Cov(X,Y), where Var(X) and Var(Y) are the variances of X and Y respectively, and Cov(X,Y) is the covariance between X and Y.

Can the variance of a linear combination be negative?

No, the variance of a linear combination cannot be negative. Variance measures the spread of data and therefore, it is always a positive value.

How is the variance of a linear combination affected by the coefficients?

The variance of a linear combination is affected by the coefficients in the sense that they determine the weighting of each variable in the combination. The larger the coefficient, the more impact that variable will have on the overall variance. This means that by manipulating the coefficients, we can control the variability of the data.