Magnetic field Calculation of a Square Wire Loop (with a changed segment)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of B fields for a finite wire using the equation for an infinite wire. Two integrals, 0 to 2a and 0 to a, are used to calculate the B fields for B1 and B5, and B3 and B6 respectively. The final field into the paper is found to be 39 uT, with doubts on the accuracy of the integrals. Modifications for a finite length include using a finite limit for the integral instead of infinity.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
In Fig. 29-58, length a is 4.7 cm (short) and current i is 13 A. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction (into or out of the page) of the magnetic field at point P?
Relevant Equations
No equations from the problem
B2.JPG
I tried to solve the above i have one confusion here.
I have marked the areas as shown
B2_sol.JPG

B2 = B4 = 0;
B1 , B5 Out of Page ; B3, B6 Into the Page.
B1 and B5 Calculation
Now main doubt is regarding the B field of the finite wire let us say 1. I took the derivation of the infinite wire as below from the textbook
B2sol1.JPG

Now instead of integrating from 0 to ∞ for 1, I integrated from 0 to 2a?

B1 = (μ *13)*[(2*a)/(2*√2*a)]/(2*π*2*a); Where R replaced with 2a
B1 = 19.5uT
Similarly for B5 = 19.5uT
Net field out B1 + B5 = 39.1uT
B3 and B6 Calculation
The same equation as above but integrated from 0 to a?
B3=B6 = (μ *13)*[a/√2*a]/(2*π*a); here i replaced R with a
B3=B6= 39.1; Net field into the paper B3+B6 = 78.2 uT

Hence the final field into the paper is = 78.2 - 39.1 = 39 uT;
I have doubts on the integrals of 0 to 2a and 0 to a is it correct? The answer is not matching it is 20uT and into the paper. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the infinite line you have

1579284172285.png

It might be better to rewrite this as ##\large B = \frac {\mu_0 i}{4 \pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{R ds}{(s^2+R^2)^{3/2}}##

How would this be modified for a finite length?

Likes Physicslearner500039

Related to Magnetic field Calculation of a Square Wire Loop (with a changed segment)

1. How is the magnetic field calculated for a square wire loop with a changed segment?

The magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment can be calculated using the formula B = μI/2r, where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability of the material, I is the current flowing through the loop, and r is the distance from the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

2. What factors affect the magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment?

The magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the shape and size of the loop, and the distance from the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. How does changing the segment of a square wire loop affect the magnetic field?

Changing the segment of a square wire loop can alter the shape and size of the loop, which in turn affects the magnetic field. The magnetic field may also change if the current flowing through the loop is altered or if the distance from the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being measured is changed.

4. Can the magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the loop, altering the shape and size of the loop, or adjusting the distance from the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

5. Are there any practical applications for calculating the magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment?

Yes, there are several practical applications for calculating the magnetic field of a square wire loop with a changed segment. This calculation is often used in the design of electronic devices, such as motors and generators, and in the study of electromagnetism and magnetic fields.