Calculate the tension in a tube

In summary, the given problem involves calculating the tension in a system with a hanging mass of 100g and three charges (-30(mu)C, 70(mu)C, and 50(mu)C) arranged in a tube and rope. The equations used are Ft + Fg + Felect = 0 and F = k * q1 * q3 / d^2, with a calculated tension of 46N and a potential error in the arrangement of the charges.
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

given mass: 100g(the one hanging)
Q1 = -30(mu)C
Q2 = 70(mu)C
Q3 = 50 (mu)C
T=?
Length of tube = 2m
Length of rope = 1m

Homework Equations

Ft + Fg + Felect =0
F =k *q1*q3/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

Those were the equations I have done so far, so the answer is 46N & the answer I got was -45N(ref dir) but I'm not sure if I have done it right here is the diagram : http://gyazo.com/1d33f7708faf12ffea9138b7c2ee6eac
How I did it at first:
Ft (+)Fg(+)Felect(+) = 0
Ft+ 0.1(10) + 9x10^9x70x10^(-6)x50x10^-6/1
FT= -31.5N

F13 = kxq1xq3/d2
= 9x10^9(-30x10^-6)(50x10-6)/1^2
F13= +- 13.5N
then I added them both

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you have omitted a portion of the problem statement. It's not clear what you are supposed to be doing here. Can you please post the original problem as it appeared in its original form?

SteamKing said:
It seems like you have omitted a portion of the problem statement. It's not clear what you are supposed to be doing here. Can you please post the original problem as it appeared in its original form?
That was the whole question. He just gave us the diagram, & the numbers and told us to calculate the tension.

Quantum Fizzics said:
given mass: 100g(the one hanging)
Q1 = -30(mu)C
Q2 = 70(mu)C
Q3 = 50 (mu)C
That doesn't seem to give a stable arrangement. Shouldn't the negative charge be in the middle?

and got -18NAs a scientist, my response to this would be that the calculation provided is not complete or accurate. The equation used (F = k*q1*q3/d2) is for the force between two point charges, but the problem does not specify the distance between Q1 and Q3. Additionally, the problem does not specify the direction of the tension (up or down), so it is not possible to determine a single numerical value for the tension in the tube.

To accurately calculate the tension in the tube, we would need to know the distance between Q1 and Q3, as well as the direction of the tension. We would also need to take into account the mass of the tube, the mass of the rope, and the force of gravity on these objects. It is also unclear how the 100g mass is related to the other charges and objects in the problem.

In order to provide a more accurate and complete solution, we would need more information and clarification on the problem. Without this information, the calculation provided is not reliable.

Related to Calculate the tension in a tube

1. How do you calculate the tension in a tube?

The tension in a tube can be calculated by using the equation T = (P * r) / L, where T is the tension, P is the pressure inside the tube, r is the radius of the tube, and L is the length of the tube.

2. What factors affect the tension in a tube?

The tension in a tube is mainly affected by the pressure inside the tube and the dimensions of the tube, including the radius and length. Other factors such as the material of the tube and external forces may also have an impact on the tension.

3. Can the tension in a tube be negative?

No, the tension in a tube cannot be negative. It represents the force pulling on the walls of the tube, and it is always a positive value. If the calculated tension is negative, it is likely that there was an error in the calculation.

4. How does the tension in a tube affect its structural integrity?

The tension in a tube plays a crucial role in its structural integrity. If the tension exceeds the strength of the material, the tube may rupture or deform. It is important to calculate and maintain the appropriate tension in a tube to ensure its stability and functionality.

5. Is there a difference between tension in a tube and tension in a string?

Yes, there is a difference between tension in a tube and tension in a string. While both represent a force pulling on an object, the tension in a tube is distributed along its walls, while the tension in a string is focused on a single point. Additionally, the calculation of tension in a tube involves pressure, while the calculation of tension in a string involves the force applied to the string.