How Do You Calculate Tension and Charge in Electromagnetic Problems?

• Thread starter MiniOreo1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, a 0.15 kg charge is hanging from a light insulating thread, with a second charge brought close to it. The tension in the thread is calculated to be 1.9 N. The charge on the second charge is found to be 4.7 x 10-6 C, and it is determined to be positive as it is attracted to the negative charge.
MiniOreo1998

Homework Statement

Charge 1 (0.15 kg) in the following diagram is hanging from a light insulating thread, as shown. Charge 2 is brought close and pulls charge 1, deflecting the string away from the vertical axis. The charges have the same magnitude, but charge 1 is negative.

A) Find the tension in the thread

B) Find the charge on charge 2. Is it positive or negative? Explain your reasoning.

I'm satisfied with my answers, however, I'm almost certain I haven't "listed" everything correctly. (example, putting FT in the wrong place where a different notation should be listed...)

I'm taking notes from the tips that I've been given in previous threads (just want to make it clear that I'm actually storing this information in order to avoid having to scramble every time a new problem arises).

2igemir.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
Fg = m g
Fe= K q2 / r2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
A)

Ft = m g
Ft = (0.15) (9.8) / cos 40
Ft = 1.9

The tension in the thread is 1.9 N

B)

Ft = k q2 / r2
Fe = (9.0 x 109) q2 / 0.42
q = √ (0.402) (1.9 sin40) / 9.0 x 109
q = 4.7 x 10-6 C

Charge 1 (given as negative) attracts Charge 2, thus charge 2 is positive.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree: reading
Ft = m g​
on one line, and then
Ft = (0.15) (9.8) / cos 40​
on the next makes my skin crawl. The 1/cos(40) seems to come out of the blue sky. Something like
Fty = m g
| Ft | = (0.15) (9.8) / cos 40​

is more understandable. You can then continue with
Ftx = | Ft | sin(40) = k q2 / r2 etc​

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension and Charge in Electromagnetic Problems?

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes how objects interact with electromagnetic fields. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How do you find the charge of an object?

The charge of an object can be found by using a device called an electroscope, which measures the amount of static electricity present. Another method is to use an instrument called a Coulomb balance, which measures the force between two charged objects.

3. What factors affect the amount of charge an object has?

The amount of charge an object has is affected by the number of electrons or protons it possesses. It can also be affected by friction, where two objects rub against each other and transfer electrons, causing one object to become positively charged and the other negatively charged.

4. How can you determine the sign of the charge on an object?

The sign of the charge on an object can be determined by its interaction with other charged objects. If the object repels a positively charged object, it is negatively charged, and if it repels a negatively charged object, it is positively charged.

5. Can an object have no charge?

Yes, an object can have no net charge if it has an equal number of protons and electrons. This is known as being electrically neutral. However, individual particles within the object may still have a charge, but they cancel each other out.