Calculating Tension and Charge Magnitude in Charged Particle Systems

In summary, the conversation is about two questions that are due by Wednesday and the asker is seeking help to check their work. The questions involve finding the angle and tension in a wire holding a charged insulator, and the sign and magnitude of a third charge in a setup with two fixed charges. The equations and attempt at a solution are also provided.
MrBballa

Homework Statement

Hey guys I was wondering if you can help me out on these two questions i have. They're due by Wednsday so i'd appreciate if i can get a reply to se if my work is right on these by then. Thanks

Question 1)
A small spherical insulator of mass 80 grams and charge +1.80 x 10 ^-6 ( Mew) C is hung by a thin massless wire. A charge of -2.00 x 10 ^-6 (Mew) C is held 0.20 meters away from the
sphere and directly to the right of it, so the wire makes an angle (Theta) with the vertical. Find the angle and the tension in the wire.

Question 2) Two identical point charges of +2.00 x 10 ^-6 (Mew) C are fixed to diagonally opposite corners of a square. A third charge is then moved to and fixed at the center of the square, such that it causes the potentials at the empty corners of the square to change signs without changing magnitudes. Find the sign and magnitude of the third charge.

Homework Equations

Question 1)
Let T be the tension in the wire.
A vertical force balance of the insulator says:
T sin theta = M g
A horizontal force balance says :
T cos theta = k Q1*Q2/R^2 which is Coulomb's law. k is the Coulomb constant and Q1 and Q2 are the two charges.
Solve the two equations in the two unknowns, theta and T.
Divide one equation by the other to get tan theta and eliminiate T.
Question 2)
Let the charges at the two opposite corners be q, and the added charge at the center be q'. Before q' is added, the potential at the empty corners is
2 k q/a, where a is the length of a side of the square.
The distance of the center of the square from either empty corner is a/sqrt2
The potential at the emptry corners with q' added must be -2kq/a = 2kq/a + kq' sqrt2/a
The k's and a's cancel and you are left with -2q = +q' *sqrt2
q' = -sqrt2*q (since 2/sqrt2 = sqrt2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1)
M= 80 grams =.08 kg... g= 9.8m/s^2
Q1= 1.8 x 10 ^-6... Q2= 2 x 10 ^-6... r= .2 meters
Tan (theta) = k (Q1 x Q2)/r^2
Theta= 44.07
Plug Theta into Vertical Force equation: Tsin(44.07)= (.08)(9.8)... T=1.13
Question 2
q= 2 x 10^-6
Find q': q' = -sqrt2*(2 x 10^-6)
q'= - 2.83 x 10 ^-6 C

Let me know if these answers are right or if i need to correct something in my calculations Thanks again for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you are right.

and Welcome to PF!

Related to Calculating Tension and Charge Magnitude in Charged Particle Systems

What are "2 Charged Particles Problems"?

"2 Charged Particles Problems" are physics problems that involve two charged particles interacting with each other through electromagnetic forces.

What types of particles are involved in these problems?

The particles involved in "2 Charged Particles Problems" are usually protons, electrons, or other charged particles with a measurable charge.

What is the formula for calculating the force between two charged particles?

The formula for calculating the force between two charged particles is Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant factor. This can be written as F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

How can the direction of the force between two charged particles be determined?

The direction of the force between two charged particles can be determined using the principle of like charges repelling and opposite charges attracting. If the charges are the same, the force will be repulsive and if the charges are opposite, the force will be attractive.

What other factors can affect the force between two charged particles?

The force between two charged particles can also be affected by the medium in which the particles are located, as well as any intervening objects or particles that may alter the distance between them. Additionally, the motion and velocity of the particles can also impact the strength and direction of the force.