Calculate the speed with which a gas escapes from a container?

In summary, the poster is asking for help in calculating the speed of helium flowing out of a container with a pressure of 2 atm, and a container containing oxygen with a pressure of 1 atm. They need to calculate the mass flow rate using the volumetric flow and specific gravity of helium, but do not know the speed of the flow. They are seeking assistance with determining the formula to use and whether the two containers would have the same pressure.
Rodrigoson6
Hi guys, (I apologize if I'm wrong here, and I apologize for my bad English but I'm Italian): if I have two container, where: container "A" (there is "He" with a pressure of 2 atm); container "B" (remember "O2" with a pressure of 1 atm). 1) you tell me which formula to use to calculate the speed with which the helium flows out from the container "A" ?? 2) if the two containers had the same pressure? P. S. : In fact I have to build a container (with helium inside). There will be a valve that will release the helium from the container. I have to calculate the mass flow rate (volumetric flow * specific gravity helium). But I do not know the speed, that 's why I am asking this. thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Calculate the speed with which a gas escapes from a container?

1. How do you calculate the speed of a gas escaping from a container?

The speed of a gas escaping from a container can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the product of the number of moles and the temperature. This can be expressed as v = √(2kT/m), where v is the velocity of the gas, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the gas.

2. What factors affect the speed of a gas escaping from a container?

The speed of a gas escaping from a container is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and size of the container, as well as the mass and type of gas. Higher temperatures and lower pressures will result in a faster escape rate, while a smaller container and lighter gas molecules will also increase the speed.

3. Are there any safety concerns when calculating the speed of a gas escaping from a container?

Yes, there are several safety concerns to consider when working with gases and calculating their escape speed. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear and handle the gases carefully to avoid any accidents. Additionally, be sure to use accurate measurements and follow proper procedures to prevent any errors or potential hazards.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the speed of a gas escaping from a container?

Yes, there is a specific formula for calculating the speed of a gas escaping from a container, as mentioned in the first question. This formula is based on the ideal gas law and takes into account the temperature, pressure, and mass of the gas.

5. Can the speed of a gas escaping from a container be manipulated?

Yes, the speed of a gas escaping from a container can be manipulated by changing the variables involved in the calculation. For example, increasing the temperature or decreasing the pressure will result in a faster escape rate. Additionally, changing the mass or type of gas can also affect the speed of escape.