Work done on container receiving gas from high pressure container

zenterix
Homework Statement
A thin-walled metal container of volume ##V## contains a gas at high pressure. COnnected to the container is a capillary tube and stopcock. When the stopcock is opened slightly, the gas leaks slowly into a cylinder equipped with a nonleaking, frictionless piston, where the pressure remains constant at the atmospheric value ##P_0##.

(a) Show that, after as much gas as possible has leaked out, an amount of work

$$W=-P_0(V_0-V)$$

has been done, where ##V## is the volume of the gas at atmospheric pressure and temperature.

(b) How much work would be done if the gas leaked directly into the atmosphere?
Relevant Equations
$$W=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV$$
1696832815801.png

It seems to me that we can already answer b): if gas leaks from the high pressure container to the atmosphere, there is no expansion work. The container loses gas, which means in ##PV=nRT## we have ##n## going down and ##P## going down, and perhaps ##T## going down.

But no work.

As for a), I assume we have an approximately quasi-static process happening: the flow of gas is extremely slow such that we have approximately uniform temperature in each container individually throughout the process.

Specifically for the container with the piston, the pressure is always approximately the atmospheric pressure ##P_0##. What is really happening is that in many infinitesimally small occurrences, the pressure is ##P_0+dP##, the container expands a little bit, and the pressure goes down to ##P_0## again.

We can use equations of state for the gas in each container at every point in the process.

For the high pressure container,

$$W=-\int_V^V PdV=0$$

For the container with the piston,

$$W=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f} P_0 dV=$$

Now, ##V_0=V+V_f## then ##V_f=V_0-V##, and so if ##V_i=0##, then we get the desired result:

$$W=-P_0(V_f-V_i)=-P_0(V_0-V-0)=-P_0(V_0-V)$$

Seems to be correct, now that I wrote it all out here.

Attachments

• 1696832796947.png
    1696832796947.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that this is not done correctly. Is V the volume of the high pressure container or the volume of gas at atmospheric temperature and pressure? What it Vo supposed to be?

What is work done on a container receiving gas from a high pressure container?

Work done on a container receiving gas from a high pressure container refers to the amount of energy required to transfer the gas from the high pressure container to the receiving container. This energy is typically measured in joules or calories.

How is work done on a container receiving gas calculated?

The work done on a container receiving gas can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is work done, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the receiving container.

What factors affect the amount of work done on a container receiving gas?

The amount of work done on a container receiving gas is affected by the pressure of the gas in the high pressure container, the volume of the receiving container, and the type of gas being transferred. Additionally, any external forces or friction may also impact the amount of work done.

Why is it important to consider work done on a container receiving gas?

Understanding the amount of work done on a container receiving gas is important in order to properly design and operate gas transfer systems. It can also help in predicting the amount of energy required for the transfer and ensuring the safety of the containers and personnel involved.

Can work done on a container receiving gas be negative?

Yes, work done on a container receiving gas can be negative if the gas is being released from the high pressure container to the receiving container. In this case, the energy is being transferred from the gas to the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in work done on the container.