Calculate Sound Pressure Level

In summary, the first reflection from the roof travels 69,800 m to get to the chair. The SPL of the first reflection is -68.11 dB.
Jese Reyes

Homework Statement

Spaker located at 90 feet from a auditorium chair. The sound pressure level at the chair is 70 dB. The first reflection from the roof takes 200ms to get to the chair.

What distance does the first reflection travel to get to the chair if the room temperature is 303.15 K?
What is the SPL of the first reflection assuming a perfect reflection from the roof?
What would the delay be of the first reflection after the direct sound has reached the chair first?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Reflection delay = (reflected path - direct path)/ speed of sound
Reflection Level at listening position = 20 log (Direct sound/Reflection distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

90ft = 27.432 mts
331 + .6(30C) = 349 ms This is the speed of sound at 303.15K

Solve for Rflection path 200ms= (rpath - 27.432 mts)/349 ms rpath=69800 mts does this make sense?

SPL = 20 log (27.432/6980) = -68.11 dB

Im not sure my math is making sense. I am having trouble understanding how to integrate these type of problems when calculating delays, reflection distance and SPL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jese Reyes said:

Homework Statement

Spaker located at 90 feet from a auditorium chair. The sound pressure level at the chair is 70 dB. The first reflection from the roof takes 200ms to get to the chair.

What distance does the first reflection travel to get to the chair if the room temperature is 303.15 K?
What is the SPL of the first reflection assuming a perfect reflection from the roof?
What would the delay be of the first reflection after the direct sound has reached the chair first?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Reflection delay = (reflected path - direct path)/ speed of sound
Reflection Level at listening position = 20 log (Direct sound/Reflection distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

90ft = 27.432 mts
331 + .6(30C) = 349 ms This is the speed of sound at 303.15K

Solve for Rflection path 200ms= (rpath - 27.432 mts)/349 ms rpath=69800 mts does this make sense?

SPL = 20 log (27.432/6980) = -68.11 dB

Im not sure my math is making sense. I am having trouble understanding how to integrate these type of problems when calculating delays, reflection distance and SPL.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

First, it's important to use standard abbreviations for units, and to be careful to write them correctly. So this:
90ft = 27.432 mts
331 + .6(30C) = 349 ms

Should be this:
90ft = 27.432 m
331 + .6(30C) = 349 m/s

And this:

Should be this:
Solve for Reflection path: distance traveled in 200ms is D(200ms) = 349 m/s * 200ms = _____

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

First, it's important to use standard abbreviations for units, and to be careful to write them correctly. So this:
90ft = 27.432 mts
331 + .6(30C) = 349 ms

Should be this:
90ft = 27.432 m
331 + .6(30C) = 349 m/s

And this:

Should be this:
Solve for Reflection path: distance traveled in 200ms is D(200ms) = 349 m/s * 200ms = _____
Thank you, i will make my future posts more accurate.

You're welcome. So what do you get for the path length, and what does that give you for the path length difference?

berkeman said:
You're welcome. So what do you get for the path length, and what does that give you for the path length difference?
I get the result of 69,800 m. The difference would be 69,772.68 m. This number in my opinion is too high compared to the 90 ft distance of the speaker and chair.

Jese Reyes said:
I get the result of 69,800 m.
That is longer than the 27.4m direct path, so that seems correct.
Jese Reyes said:
The difference would be 69,772.68 m.
What does that mean? Oh wait, I thought your were using the "," character above as the decimal point (European style). If not, then 69,800m is incorrect. That calculation should give 69.8m.

Oh, I see you multiplied by 200s instead of 200ms. Note that 200ms = 0.2s (be sure to keep track of your units)

berkeman said:
That is longer than the 27.4m direct path, so that seems correct.

What does that mean? Oh wait, I thought your were using the "," character above as the decimal point (European style). If not, then 69,800m is incorrect. That calculation should give 69.8m.

Oh, I see you multiplied by 200s instead of 200ms. Note that 200ms = 0.2s (be sure to keep track of your units)
Makes complete sense! Now the numbers fit with the context of the problem. Such a small detail, i need to be more careful with my units. Thank you so much!

You're welcome, good job. And thanks for showing so much of your work -- that makes it a lot easier to catch small math errors or mistakes in unit conversions.

1. How is sound pressure level measured?

Sound pressure level is measured using a unit called decibels (dB). A sound level meter is used to measure the sound pressure level in decibels, which is based on a logarithmic scale.

2. What is the formula for calculating sound pressure level?

The formula for calculating sound pressure level is SPL = 20 log (p/p0), where SPL is the sound pressure level in decibels, p is the sound pressure in pascals, and p0 is the reference sound pressure of 20 micropascals.

3. What is the reference sound pressure used for calculating sound pressure level?

The reference sound pressure used for calculating sound pressure level is 20 micropascals. This is equivalent to the sound pressure of the threshold of human hearing at a frequency of 1,000 Hz.

4. How does distance affect sound pressure level?

As sound waves travel, their intensity decreases with distance. This means that the sound pressure level also decreases with distance. The further away you are from the sound source, the lower the sound pressure level will be.

5. What is a safe level of sound pressure level for human ears?

The safe level of sound pressure level for human ears is below 85 dB. Exposure to sound pressure levels above 85 dB for extended periods of time can cause damage to the ear and lead to hearing loss. It is important to protect your ears by using earplugs or limiting exposure to loud noises.