Sound Power Level (SPL) of a loudspeaker

In summary: SPL = -10 Log[(initial power)/(final power)]In summary,The textbook says that a 20-foot loudspeaker will produce a sound pressure level of 115 dB at 1 m with 1 W input. If the input is decreased to 0.22 W, the sound pressure level at 1 m distance will be 108.4 dB.
Rorshach
This is a simple problem from a textbook I am reading, and everything below is written word by word and sign by sign from said textbook. Formulas given in the book just don't give the result authors claim they do:

Homework Statement

An input of 1 W produces a SPL of 115 dB at 1 m. What is the SPL at 6.1 m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

SPL = 115 - 10log(0.22/1) = 115 - 15.7 = 99.3 dBThe assumption made in the 20log(6.1) factor is that the loudspeaker is operating in a free field and that inverse square law is valid in this case. This is a reasonable assumption for a 20-ft distance if the loudspeaker is remote from reflecting surfaces. A loudspeaker is rated at a sound- pressure level of 115 dB on axis at 1 m with 1 W into 8Ω. If the input were decreased from 1 to 0.22 W, what would be the sound pressure level at 1 m distance?

SPL = 115 - 10log(0.22/1)
= 115 - 6.6
= 108.4 dB

Note that 10log is used because two powers are being compared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rorshach said:
SPL = 115 - 10log(0.22/1) = 115 - 15.7 = 99.3 dBThe assumption made in the 20log(6.1) factor...
Looks like the book has a typographical error. It appears that the quantity given in green was meant to be 20log(6.1).

I am sorry, in that case it was my typo. In the book it stands 20log(6.1). It's the second equation that doesn't work out. I made sure it is exactly like in the textbook, so no typo there.

Are you saying that the following numbers don't work out?
Rorshach said:
SPL = 115 - 10log(0.22/1)
= 115 - 6.6
= 108.4 dB
It looks OK to me. Never mind, there is a sign error. The equation SPL = 115 - 10log(0.22/1) should not have a minus sign on the right. It should be positive. That is, it should be

SPL = 115 + 10log(0.22/1) = 115 - 6.6 = 108.4 dB

that is right. I have a question: When should it be minus sign and when should it be plus? What determines that?

Rorshach said:
that is right. I have a question: When should it be minus sign and when should it be plus? What determines that?
The change in sound level is always 10Log(If/Ii) where If is the final intensity and Ii is the initial intensity.

For a point source of power P, I = P/(4πr2). So, if you keep the power constant while changing r, you have that the change in sound level is

10Log(If/Ii) = 10Log(ri2/rf2) = 20Log(ri/rf) = -20Log(rf/ri)

but here we are dealing with pressure, and it would have to be SPL = 115 + 10log(0.22/1) for the correct result- how do I correlate power and pressure correctly?

If p is the "sound pressure" (i.e., the amplitude of the pressure variation in a sound wave), then it turns out that the intensity of the sound, I, is proportional to p2. So, the sound pressure level can be written as

SPL = 10 Log[I/I0] = 10 Log[p2/p02] = 20 Log[p/p0]

The "0" subscript refers to some standard reference level (usually corresponding to the threshold of hearing). If you are only interested in changes in SPL, then

ΔSPL =10 Log[If/Ii] = 20 Log[pf/pi].

In your particular problem, you did not have to work with any sound pressure values, p.

I still don't understand how I'm supposed to get
SPL = 115 + 10log(0.22/1)

In the first equation it was very intuitive, and produced expected result. But second equation just makes no sense:
in the logarithm (just like authors state in the book is 10log, because two powers are being compared) we have a fraction with wattage in nominator (after change, 0.22W) and denominator (before change, 1W, refference value). And for this equation to produce expected result we have to have either - 10log(1/0.22), which makes no sense since refference value is in nominator, or +log10(0.22/1), which I have no idea where it came from.

I'm not sure where you are having difficulty.

In terms of power changes, the change in SPL is

ΔSPL = 10 Log[(final power)/(initial power)]

So, in your specific problem, ΔSPL = 10 Log[(.22 W)/(1 W)] = 10 Log[.22/1] = -6.6 decibels

Logarithms obey the property Log[a/b] = - Log[b/a]

So, Log[(final power)/(initial power)] = - Log[(initial power)/(final power)]

So, you can just as well write the change in SPL as

ΔSPL = - 10 Log[(initial power)/(final power)] = - 10 Log [1/(.22)] = -6.6 decibles.

I mean the general formula for this would be:
SPL = G - ΔSPL
where G is a given value of SPL at a given distance.

and all the signs in the formula are the same, only values of SPL, G and ΔSPL change and can be negative or positive, right?

Usually, the symbol Δ indicates a change given by the final value minus the initial value. Thus,

ΔSPL = SPLf - SPLi.

Rearranging this gives

SPLf = SPLi + ΔSPL.

Note the plus sign on the right hand side.

ΔSPL is related to the change in intensity, I, of the sound according to ΔSPL = 10Log[If/Ii].
If If > Ii then ΔSPL is positive. If If < Ii then ΔSPL is negative.

So, SPLf = SPLi + 10Log[If/Ii].

Related to Sound Power Level (SPL) of a loudspeaker

1. What is the Sound Power Level (SPL) of a loudspeaker?

The Sound Power Level (SPL) of a loudspeaker is a measure of the acoustic power output of a loudspeaker. It is measured in decibels (dB) and represents the level of sound energy produced by the loudspeaker at a given distance.

2. How is the SPL of a loudspeaker measured?

The SPL of a loudspeaker is measured using a sound level meter placed at a specific distance from the loudspeaker. The sound level meter measures the sound pressure level and converts it to SPL in decibels (dB).

3. What factors affect the SPL of a loudspeaker?

The SPL of a loudspeaker can be affected by various factors such as the power of the amplifier driving the loudspeaker, the design and construction of the loudspeaker, the frequency response of the loudspeaker, and the room acoustics. Additionally, the placement, orientation, and distance of the loudspeaker from the listener can also affect the SPL.

4. What is the difference between sound pressure level and sound power level?

Sound pressure level (SPL) is a measure of the sound energy at a specific point in space, while sound power level (SWL) is a measure of the total amount of acoustic energy generated by a source. SPL is affected by the distance from the source, while SWL is more consistent and independent of distance.

5. What is the threshold for hearing sound at different SPLs?

The threshold for hearing sound varies depending on the frequency of the sound. At a frequency of 1000 Hz, the threshold for human hearing is around 0 dB SPL. However, at higher or lower frequencies, the threshold may be higher or lower. For example, the threshold for a 20 Hz sound is about 60 dB SPL, while for a 20,000 Hz sound, it is around 120 dB SPL.