Calculate Solar Energy Usage: From 15C to 65C in 110L Tank | Help Needed

In summary, a user on the forum is seeking help with a question about the rate of solar energy absorption and its effect on heating water in a tank. They are struggling to find information on this topic and are asking for guidance. Another user provides a hint and a link to the heat energy equation and a list of specific heat capacities for different substances.
marclee85
Hi, I am new to this forum and wondering if anybody would be kind enough to help me.

A solar panel of area 2 m2 absorbs solar energy at the rate of
950 W/m2. Assuming that all the energy is used to heat water
in a 110 litre tank how long would it take for the water
temperature to increase from 15C to 65C?

This is the only question I am really stuck on in my Revision Paper as I haven't covered this area before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! The forum rules require you to show what you've tried so far before anyone can help you.

Have you come across the heat energy equation before?

The difficulty I am encountering is that nothing of this sort is in the textbooks recommended to me and I can't seem to find anything on the internet either.

I really do not know where to start with this, can you shed some light or give me a relevant link that will assist me?

Thankyou very much for your help.

Well I gave you a small hint above mentioning the heat energy equation. If you searched for it you would probably come across it. Here it is anyway in case you get confused with other heat equations.

[tex] Q = mc_p \Delta T [/tex]

where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, cp is the specific heat capacity of the substance and [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is the change in temperature.

The following is a list of the specific heat capacities of different substances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity#Heat_capacity

Related to Calculate Solar Energy Usage: From 15C to 65C in 110L Tank | Help Needed

1. How is solar energy calculated?

Solar energy is calculated by taking into account the amount of sunlight hitting a specific area, the efficiency of the solar panels being used, and the energy needs of the location. The calculation involves factors such as the solar panel's wattage, the number of hours of sunlight per day, and the location's latitude and longitude.

2. What is the formula for calculating solar energy?

The formula for calculating solar energy is: Solar Energy (kWh) = Solar Panel Wattage x Hours of Sunlight x Efficiency Percentage. The result will give you the amount of energy produced by your solar panels in kilowatt-hours (kWh).

3. How do I determine the efficiency of my solar panels?

Solar panel efficiency is determined by dividing the output power (wattage) by the input power (sunlight). This will give you a percentage that represents the efficiency of your solar panels. For example, if your solar panel has a wattage of 200 watts and receives 300 watts of sunlight, the efficiency would be 66.67%.

4. Can I calculate the potential savings of using solar energy?

Yes, you can estimate the potential savings of using solar energy by multiplying the solar energy production (kWh) by the cost of electricity per kWh in your area. This will give you an estimate of how much you could save on your electricity bill by using solar energy.

5. Are there any online calculators for solar energy calculation?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help you determine the potential solar energy production and savings for your specific location. Some popular options include the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's PVWatts Calculator and Solar-Estimate.org's Solar Calculator.