Calculate the solar energy incident on a reflecting surface in one second

In summary, the solar cooker reflects only 76% of the energy that is incident on the curved surface towards the pot.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

First I will say, I know I post here alot, but that is because I have exams coming up soon and I am a beginner, and It's crunch time, I'm self taught with only the help of friends and the internet. I'm currently doing a past examination as practice, but this one is much harder than the ones I've done before, and from every single post I've placed here, I have learned, I like how the helpers only give hints.

Ok without any further ado here is the question.

''A solar cooker focuses sunlight onto a pot containing food. The area of the reflecting surface is 0.75m2 and the solar power incident on it is 800Wm-2. Only 76% of the energy incident on the curved surface is reflected towards the pot.

Calculate:(i) The energy arriving at the curved surface each second.
(ii) the total energy reflected towards the pot in one hour

Homework Equations

KE=1/2*m*v2
W=J/S

The Attempt at a Solution

I would try to solve it but the problem is I don't have a time...
I'm thinking that ok the solar radiation is coming to the reflecting surface at 3.0*108m/s but... That's all I have, I'm unfamiliar with this Watt per metre squared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A Watt is a Joule/second. 1 Watt/m2 means that if you take a square that is 1 m on the side, then every second that goes by, one Joule worth of energy is incident on the surface. Here you are given the surface. In (i) you are asked to find how much energy hits the surface in one second. Do you think you can answer that?

Ok I'm following a bit, that means in this question in one second 800 joules will hit a square 1m on the side.

But the area here is 0.75m2
So what I have to do is, 800 *0.75 and I will get 600Joules?

And now for one hour I would do 600*3600 and just simply find 76% of that and that is the answer.

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
600*60
How many seconds in an hour?

As an aside, the question says the curved surface has an area of .75m2. Presumably it means that is the cross-sectional area, i.e. the area of a flat surface with the same perimeter. Otherwise there is not enough information. We would need, e.g., the distance from mirror to pot.

Ah yes my mistake 600*3600

1. How is the solar energy incident on a reflecting surface calculated?

The solar energy incident on a reflecting surface can be calculated by multiplying the intensity of the incident sunlight by the surface area of the reflecting surface. This will give you the total solar energy received by the surface in one second.

2. What factors affect the amount of solar energy incident on a reflecting surface?

The amount of solar energy incident on a reflecting surface can be affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the reflectivity of the surface, and any obstructions that may block the sunlight from reaching the surface.

3. How do you determine the angle of incidence for calculating solar energy?

The angle of incidence can be determined by measuring the angle between the incident sunlight and the normal (perpendicular) to the reflecting surface. This angle is important because it affects the amount of solar energy that is reflected by the surface.

4. Can the reflectivity of a surface change the amount of solar energy incident on it?

Yes, the reflectivity of a surface plays a crucial role in determining the amount of solar energy incident on it. A surface with high reflectivity will reflect more sunlight and receive less solar energy, while a surface with low reflectivity will absorb more sunlight and receive more solar energy.

5. Is it possible to calculate the solar energy incident on a curved reflecting surface?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the solar energy incident on a curved reflecting surface. However, this calculation may be more complex and may require additional information such as the curvature of the surface and the angle of incidence at different points on the surface.