Efficiency calculation for solar cells

In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the efficiency of solar cells given certain characteristics, such as power, absorptance, emittance, reliability and mass. The equation for efficiency calculations is known, but the student is unsure of how to incorporate the absorptance and emittance values. However, it is not necessary to include these values in the calculation as only the incident radiation flux and area of the array are needed.
ExoP01

Homework Statement

Hi!
I have a problem with the following problem:
Calculate the efficiency of the solar cells with the characteristics given in the table below
Power (28 degrees, BOL): 300 W/m2 Absorptance: <91 , emittance: >82. Reliability: 0.999 . Mass: 2 kg

Homework Equations

I know that the equation for efficiency calculations is:
(maximum eficiency) = (maximum power output)/ (incident radiation flux * Area of the array)

But I don't know what to do since the absorptance and emittance is included. Please, help me :/

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the area is I m2. The power output is given above.
I divided the emittance with absorptance ...And now I'm stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to take into account the absorptance and emittance in the calculation of the efficiency. If you include the absorptance, you can find the absorbed flux, but as you said in the formula above, it is the INCIDENT flux that you need. You don't need to use the absorptance or emittance.

Related to Efficiency calculation for solar cells

1. What is the efficiency of a solar cell?

The efficiency of a solar cell is a measure of how well it converts sunlight into electricity. It is calculated by dividing the maximum power output of the cell by the total amount of sunlight that hits the cell.

2. How is the efficiency of a solar cell calculated?

The efficiency of a solar cell is calculated by measuring the maximum power output of the cell in watts and dividing it by the total amount of sunlight that hits the cell in watts per square meter. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a solar cell?

The efficiency of a solar cell can be affected by several factors, including the material used to make the cell, the design and structure of the cell, the quality of the silicon used, and external environmental factors such as temperature and shading.

4. Why is efficiency important for solar cells?

Efficiency is important for solar cells because it determines how much electricity they can produce. A higher efficiency means that the cell can convert more sunlight into electricity, making it more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

5. What is the current average efficiency of solar cells?

The current average efficiency of solar cells varies depending on the type and manufacturer, but it typically ranges from 15% to 20%. However, some advanced solar cells have achieved efficiencies of over 40%, showing potential for even greater efficiency in the future.