Calculate real integrals using complex analysis

In summary, Using complex analysis, we can calculate real integrals by rewriting them in terms of complex integrals and using the residue theorem. For the first integral, we write it as the sum of a real integral over the interval [-R, R] and a complex integral over a semicircle in the upper half-plane. As R approaches infinity, the complex integral becomes 0, leaving us with the real integral, which can be evaluated using the residue theorem. For the second integral, we can use the fact that the integrand is even and rewrite it as a complex integral over the real line. This integral has a removable singularity at z=0, so the residue at this point is 0, leaving us with only the real
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate real integrals using complex analysis
a) ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2+1}##
b) ##\int_0^\infty \frac{sin(x)}{x}dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{dz}{z^2+1}=\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx}{x^2+1}+\int _\gamma\frac{dz}{z^2+1}##

Where ##R-> \infty##.

If ##z=re^{i\varphi }## than

##\int _\gamma\frac{dz}{z^2+1}=i\int _\gamma\lim_{R->\infty }\frac{re^{i\varphi }}{r^2e^{2i\varphi }+1}d\varphi =0##

So initial equation ##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{dz}{z^2+1}=\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx}{x^2+1}+\int _\gamma\frac{dz}{z^2+1}## is now ##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{dz}{z^2+1}=\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx}{x^2+1}##.

There is a pole of first order in ##i##. Which gives me ##Res(f,i)=\frac{1}{2i}## and finally

##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{dz}{z^2+1}=2\pi i\frac{1}{2i}=\pi ##

Therefore ##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{dx}{x^2+1}=\pi ##.

b) Have no idea.

##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{sin(z)}{z}dz=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{sin(x)}{x}dx+\int_\gamma \frac{sin(z)}{z}dz##

I tried to integrate (because it is also from ##0## to ##\infty ##) ##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{1+x^3}## to maybe find out anything yet I could get the right result here either...

Lets get back to this: ##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{sin(z)}{z}dz##.

This integral is ##0##, because ##\frac{sin(z)}{z}## has a removable singularity for ##z=0##, therefore ##Res(f,z=0)=0##.

But what to do with ##\int_\gamma \frac{sin(z)}{z}dz## ... That I do not know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the fact that the integrand is even and that sin x = Im(eix).

Related to Calculate real integrals using complex analysis

1. How is complex analysis used to calculate real integrals?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. By using complex analysis techniques, real integrals can be simplified and solved more easily. This is because complex numbers allow for more efficient and elegant representations of integrals compared to real numbers.

2. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis to calculate real integrals?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis to calculate real integrals include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve manipulating complex functions and using properties of analytic functions to evaluate integrals.

3. Can complex analysis be used to solve any type of real integral?

No, complex analysis is most effective for solving integrals that involve functions that are analytic in the complex plane. This means that the functions must be differentiable at every point in a given region. Integrals that involve non-analytic functions may not be easily solvable using complex analysis techniques.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using complex analysis to calculate real integrals?

One potential drawback is that complex analysis techniques may be more complex and require a deeper understanding of mathematics compared to traditional methods of integration. Additionally, some integrals may still be difficult to solve even with the use of complex analysis techniques.

5. How can the use of complex analysis benefit the calculation of real integrals?

Using complex analysis can provide a more efficient and elegant way to evaluate integrals compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the use of powerful theorems and techniques, such as the residue theorem, which can simplify the calculation of complex integrals. Additionally, the use of complex analysis allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts and properties of integrals.