Calculate Minimum Wing Area for Plane in Air | Bernoulli's Equation

• Thread starter PetetheGreek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, a new member joined a site while studying for their final and asked for help with a problem involving a small plane flying in air of density 1.0 kg/m3. The air moves over the top and bottom of the wings at velocities of 160 m/s and 130 m/s, respectively. They needed to find the minimum wing area needed to keep the plane in the air, and after some discussion about Bernoulli's equation and force equations, they were able to solve for the needed area of 6.75m2 or 3.37m2 per wing.
PetetheGreek
Hi guys, new here just wanted to say hello and I stumbled across this site while studying for my final, great site, now onto my question...

Homework Statement

A small plane of mass 3000 kg is flying in air of density 1.0 kg/m3. Air moves over the top and
bottom of the surface of the wings at velocities of 160 m/s and 130 m/s, respectively. What is
the minimum wing area needed, to keep the plane in air?

Homework Equations

Bernoullis equation and Area = Force/Pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive found change in pressure to be 4350N/m2 but I can't find the force, nor am I sure how much pressure is needed to keep the plane in the air, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have half the problem solved then. This pressure will cause an upward force on the wings. If you remember your pressure equation [tex]P=F/A[/tex] then you can get the upward force knowing the surface area of the wings.

Then you ask yourself why does it need an upward force. Well what could be causing the plane to go down? And you remember that gravity has a downward force. So look up the force of gravity equation.

Then equate the two forces and solve for the surface area needed.

P.S.: A plane has 2 wings, so be sure to divide this surface area in half for the area needed on one wing.

The first thing that a lot of people forget to think about is to equilibrate the forces.

To just keep the plane in the air Force up = Force down.

Force down is mg...

Think about where you might get force up from...

awesome guys, thanks a bunch! i figured it out, 6.75m2, or 3.37 per wing

Related to Calculate Minimum Wing Area for Plane in Air | Bernoulli's Equation

1. How do airplanes stay in the air?

Airplanes stay in the air due to the principles of lift and thrust. The shape of the wings and the speed of the airplane create an area of low pressure above the wings, which results in lift. The engines provide thrust, which propels the airplane forward.

2. What is the difference between a commercial airplane and a private airplane?

A commercial airplane is used for transportation of passengers and cargo for a fee, while a private airplane is owned and operated by an individual or organization for personal use. Commercial airplanes are also larger and have more amenities, while private airplanes are smaller and more basic.

3. Can an airplane fly without an engine?

Yes, an airplane can glide and stay in the air without an engine. In the event of an engine failure, pilots are trained to glide the airplane to a safe landing using the principles of lift and drag. However, most commercial airplanes are equipped with multiple engines for safety and redundancy.

4. How do airplanes navigate?

Airplanes use a combination of instruments, such as altimeters, airspeed indicators, and navigation systems, to navigate. Pilots also use visual cues and landmarks to stay on course. In addition, air traffic controllers provide guidance and instructions to ensure safe navigation in the airspace.

5. What should I do if I experience turbulence during a flight?

Turbulence is a common occurrence during flights and is usually nothing to worry about. The best thing to do is to stay calm and follow the instructions of the flight crew. Keep your seatbelt fastened and avoid standing or walking around the cabin. Trust in the skills and experience of the pilots to safely navigate through the turbulence.