Bernoullis principle and lift on a wing of plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Bernoulli's principle on a wing with different air speeds above and below it. The problem statement asks for the lift in Newtons and the conversation suggests using Bernoulli's equation to calculate pressures. The altitude is not specified, so the density of air at sea level may be assumed.
bfusco

Homework Statement

What is the lift (in Newtons) due to Bernoulli's principle on a wing of area 89 if the air passes over the top and bottom surfaces at speeds of 260 and 160 , respectively?

The Attempt at a Solution

um...i understand that the higher velocity of the air above the wing creates a lower pressure than below the wing and this difference in pressure generates lift, however i don't really see how bernoullis principle applies

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bfusco,

I think we could help a bit more if you told us what exactly you meant by 'Bernoulli's principle' here; there are a lot of different kind of similar things that can be labeled 'Bernoulli's principle', and I don't want to steer you wrong. Qualitatively, you already stated & explained how Bernoulli's principle applies here in your original post. In terms of the algebra, you could apply the first equation under 'incompressible flow' on the wikipedia page titled 'Bernoulli's Principle' (treating the difference in z above and below the wing as negligible), but I obviously can't promise that this is what your instructor wants you to do. I think you understand the physics here already; if there's something about the algebra that doesn't make sense, we'll need more details.

Hope this helps,
Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator:
bfusco said:
I don't really see how bernoullis principle applies
For this problem, it doesn't matter, since you're being told to use Bernoulli's equation along with the speeds you're given to calculate pressures.

The problem statement doesn't include an alitude (which is needed to determine density), so my guess is that your supposed to assume this occurs at sea level and use the density of air at sea level.

Related to Bernoullis principle and lift on a wing of plane

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle can be applied to the flow of air around a wing of a plane, where the air moving over the top of the wing moves faster than the air underneath, creating a difference in pressure and resulting in lift.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle explain lift on a wing of a plane?

As mentioned before, Bernoulli's principle explains lift on a wing of a plane by the difference in pressure created by the flow of air over and under the wing. The faster-moving air on top of the wing creates an area of lower pressure, while the slower-moving air underneath creates an area of higher pressure. This pressure difference results in an upward force, or lift, on the wing.

3. Does the shape of the wing affect Bernoulli's principle and lift?

Yes, the shape of the wing does affect Bernoulli's principle and lift. A curved or cambered wing is more efficient in generating lift compared to a flat wing. This is because the curved shape of the wing allows for a smoother flow of air over the top, creating a larger difference in pressure and thus more lift.

4. What other factors besides Bernoulli's principle contribute to lift on a wing of a plane?

Besides Bernoulli's principle, other factors that contribute to lift on a wing of a plane include the angle of attack (the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air), the speed and density of the air, and the size and shape of the wing. These factors work together to create the necessary lift for a plane to stay in the air.

5. Can Bernoulli's principle and lift be applied to other objects besides the wings of a plane?

Yes, Bernoulli's principle and lift can be applied to other objects besides the wings of a plane. This principle is also used in the design of sails for boats, as well as in the operation of airfoils in wind turbines. Additionally, it can be seen in everyday objects such as balls, frisbees, and even in the movement of insects and birds through the air.