Calc III Chain rule - which vars to put in?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem but is unsure of the "protocol" for which variables to put back in. Sometimes (in this case) they can't really put everything as v. So they choose to put everything as u and v. They then use this to find the partial derivatives of z with respect to v. When taking those partial derivatives and multiplying out, they get -ucos(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y + usin(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x. They then add this to the original equation to get the final answer.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

z = cos(x^2 + 3y^2)
x = ucosv
y=usinv

find dz/dv

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can do these fairly well, but I'm a little unsure of the "protocol" for which variables to put back in. Sometimes (in this case) I can't really put everything as v. So I choose to put everything as u and v since they are on the same "level."

for example, I get that

(dv/dv) = (dy/dv)(dz/dy) + (dx/dv)(dz/dx)

When taking those partials and multiplying out ( leaving variables as they are.. )

= - ucos(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y + usin(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x

So what is the technique? Replace all x and y with ucosv and usinv respectively, and leave u in the partial derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
(dv/dv) = (dy/dv)(dz/dy) + (dx/dv)(dz/dx)

When taking those partials and multiplying out ( leaving variables as they are.. )

= - ucos(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y + usin(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x

This is not quite right. The partial derivatives you have defined are keeping x constant (to get dy/dv) and y constant to get dx/dv. So u is not necessarily kept constant, but you have taken the partial derivative as if it were constant.

EDIT: So sorry! I got myself confused! you have done it correctly! Ignore Everything I was saying please!

I have no idea what you mean.

My partials are
dy/dv = ucos(v)
dz/dy = -sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y
dx/dv = -usinv
dz/dx = -sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x

Then I multiplied them and added as such:

(dy/dv)(dz/dy) + (dx/dv)(dz/dx)

What part of this is wrong?

EDIT:

Saw your edit, no apologies needed. Is it correct to use u and v in the final partial and phase out x and y?

OK, so now I've looked at it again, I see what you are saying:
[tex]\frac{dz}{dv} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \LARGE | \small _y \normalsize \ \ \frac{dx}{dv} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \LARGE | \small _x \normalsize \ \ \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]
Right? (I hope I did the latex correctly). Anyway, your evaluation of the partial derivatives are correct, but you derivatives (i.e. dx/dv and dy/dv) are not correct, because they are full derivatives, yet you have treated u as constant.

Edit: my latex skills aren't amazing, but the line and small x (or y) show what is being held constant when the partial derivative is taken.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, it's my fault for not being clear (latex stopped working on my browser) but, EVERY derivative I've written here is intended a partial, including dz/dv. My goal is the partial derivative of function z with respect to variable v. That's why I hold u constant.

Oh, I get you. So the goal is the partial derivative of z with respect to v, while holding u constant. Yes, I think you've got the right answer then. So in the final answer you can have u, v, x and y in there, it doesn't matter, you can rearrange it whichever way you like really.

Related to Calc III Chain rule - which vars to put in?

1. What is the chain rule in Calculus III?

The chain rule in Calculus III is a rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable.

2. How do I know which variables to put in the chain rule?

In the chain rule, you need to identify the "inner" and "outer" functions. The inner function is the function inside the parentheses, while the outer function is the function outside the parentheses. The variables that appear in both the inner and outer functions need to be included in the chain rule.

3. Can I use the chain rule for any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

4. When do I need to use the chain rule?

The chain rule is used when you have a composite function, which is a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is also used when you need to find the derivative of a function that has multiple variables.

5. How do I apply the chain rule in practice?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you need to find the derivatives of each function separately. Finally, you can plug in the results into the chain rule formula to find the final derivative.