Calc 3 Moments and centers of mass

In summary, the problem asks for the center of mass of a lamina in the shape of an isosceles right triangle with equal sides of length a. The density at any point is proportional to the square of the distance from the vertex opposite the hypotenuse. The bounds for the outer and inner integrals are 0 to a and 0 to a-x, respectively. The mass of the lamina is calculated using the distance formula and the equation for the hypotenuse, and is represented by the integral k∫∫ √(x^2+y^2) dydx.
Litcyb

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of a lamina in the shape of an isosceles right triangle with equal sides of length a if the density at any point is proportional to the square of the distance from the vertex opposite the hypotenuse.

Homework Equations

∫∫ (f(x,y) dA
mx= 1/m(∫∫ x(fx,y) dA
my= 1/m(∫∫ y(f(x,y) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

how do you calculate the bounds?

I know its the distance from the 90° angle to the the hypotenuse, but how to calculate that length? According to the book that length is √(x^2+y^2) why? Please, Help me how to visualize this problem.

I know how to calculate the density and centers of mass, I am just struggling in visualizing the problem and coming with an equation to integrate. Thank you. Ps- Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omg, you just use the distance formula! from (0,0) (90°) to any point on the line C (hypotenuse (x,y). How could i not remember that...not bueno.

I was able to calculate the bounds also! So happy, the bounds are from 0 to a, for the outer integral and 0 to a-x for the inner integral! we just draw the picture and cut it in perspective of x, so dA will now be, dydx if you cut it horizontally, parallel to the x-axis.

Last edited:
I presume you have taken the right angle at the origin and the hypotenuse in the first quadrant. In that case, yes, the distance from any point (x, y) to the right angle, the origin, is [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex], from the usual distance formula.

Yes, taking the length of the other two sides as "a", the other two vertices are at (a, 0) and (0, a) and the equation of the hypotenuse is given x+ y= a or y= a- x. The "outer" integral must be from 0 to a and the "inner" integral from 0 to a- x. Taking the "proportion" to be k, the mass of this lamina is
[tex]\int_{x=0}^a\int_{y=0}^{a-x} k\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}dydx[/tex]
Is that what you got?

Related to Calc 3 Moments and centers of mass

What is the concept of moments in Calc 3?

The concept of moments in Calc 3 involves finding the product of the distance from a reference point to an object and the force acting on that object. Moments are used to calculate the rotational equilibrium of an object.

What is the formula for finding the moment of an object in Calc 3?

The formula for finding the moment of an object in Calc 3 is M = F * d, where M is the moment, F is the force acting on the object, and d is the distance from the reference point to the object.

What is the center of mass in Calc 3?

The center of mass in Calc 3 is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the average position of all the particles that make up the object.

How is the center of mass calculated in Calc 3?

The center of mass is calculated by first finding the mass of each individual particle in the object, then multiplying that mass by its distance from a reference point. These values are then added together and divided by the total mass of the object.

Why is finding the center of mass important in Calc 3?

Finding the center of mass is important in Calc 3 because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It is also used in various applications such as engineering and physics to understand the motion of objects and design structures.