C2H3O2- concentration given pH of 30mL NaC2H3O2 solution

In summary, the conversation is about calculating ion concentrations in titrations for a chemistry lab. The person is trying to find the concentration of Na+ and C2H3O2- ions using the pH and pOH values. However, they made a mistake in their calculation as they used the wrong value for Kb and ended up with a concentration that doesn't make sense. They also mentioned the accuracy of their pH meter and the relationship between volume and concentration.
Phyzwizz
I'm working on a lab for my chem class and we have to calculate all of the different ion concentrations within some titrations that we did. Here I have to calculate the concentration before anything is added. Na+ + C2H3O2- + H2O → HC2H3O2 + OH- + Na+
the pH is 8.4458 for a 30.0 mL NaC2H3O2 solution. I tried finding the concentration of the Na+ and C2H3O2- ions by: 14.00 - 8.4458 = pOH = 5.55452 then 10-5.55452 = 2.79 X 10-6 which is the OH- concentration. In the Kb? equation this would be x so: 5.3 X 10-6 = (2.79 X 10-6)2/(x-(2.79 X 10-6). Calculating all this through I get 4.25 X 10-6. With the Liters being 30.0 mL I take this concentration and divide it by .0300 L and I get 1.42 X10-4. This just seems incorrect because the Molarity was supposed to be somewhere near 1.0M, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyzwizz said:
the pH is 8.4458

You really know pH with that high accuracy? Wow. Most pH meters I know will show 8.45, and I would not believe the last digit.

for a 30.0 mL NaC2H3O2 solution

You mean - if you will take different volume, pH will have different value?

14.00 - 8.4458 = pOH = 5.55452

Probably typo. 5.5542, if anything. Not that it changes the result by much.

2.79 X 10-6 which is the OH- concentration

OK

In the Kb? equation this would be x so: 5.3 X 10-6

5.3x10-6 is not Kb of the acetate ion, so anything you did past this point can't be correct. Still, you managed to write something that I can't left uncommented:

With the Liters being 30.0 mL I take this concentration and divide it by .0300 L and I get 1.42 X10-4.

So you took concentration and you divided it by volume to get... what? Concentration again?

yeah I don't know what I did to get that Kb value I know its (1.0 X 10-14)/(1.8 X 10-5) = 5.6 X 10-10.

Looking at it now I'm unsure why I would have gone any farther than the 4.25 X 10-6 this answer would definitely be different with the correct Kb value but wouldn't this give me the ion concentrations of both C2H3O2- and Na+ since they are 1:1?

Yes.

Your calculations seem to be correct, but there may be some errors in the data or assumptions. It's important to double check the given pH value and make sure it is accurate. Also, make sure the volume of the solution is actually 30 mL and not 30.0 mL, as this could affect your final concentration calculation. Additionally, the concentration of a solution can vary depending on its preparation and storage, so it's possible that the actual concentration of the NaC2H3O2 solution is not exactly 1.0M.

If you're still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a classmate to compare calculations and make sure you're on the right track. Remember to always double check your work and use the correct units in your calculations to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your lab!

Related to C2H3O2- concentration given pH of 30mL NaC2H3O2 solution

1. What is the formula for calculating the concentration of C2H3O2- in a solution?

The formula for calculating the concentration of C2H3O2- is: concentration (M) = moles of C2H3O2- / volume of solution (L)

2. How do you determine the number of moles of C2H3O2- in a given amount of NaC2H3O2 solution?

To determine the number of moles of C2H3O2- in a solution, you will need to know the molarity (M) of the solution and the volume (in liters). The number of moles can be calculated using the formula: moles = molarity x volume

3. What is the relationship between pH and the concentration of C2H3O2- in a solution?

The concentration of C2H3O2- in a solution is directly related to the pH of the solution. As the pH increases, the concentration of C2H3O2- also increases. This is because C2H3O2- acts as a base and accepts hydrogen ions (H+) to form acetic acid (HC2H3O2), which increases the concentration of C2H3O2- in the solution.

4. How can the concentration of C2H3O2- be calculated if the pH and volume of the solution are known?

If the pH and volume of the solution are known, the concentration of C2H3O2- can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([C2H3O2-] / [HC2H3O2]). The pKa value for acetic acid is 4.75. By rearranging the equation and solving for [C2H3O2-], the concentration can be determined.

5. How does the concentration of C2H3O2- in a solution affect its properties?

The concentration of C2H3O2- in a solution can affect its properties in several ways. It can impact the pH of the solution, as discussed in question 3. It can also affect the ionic strength and conductivity of the solution. Additionally, the concentration of C2H3O2- can influence how the solution behaves in chemical reactions and how it interacts with other substances.