Writing Common Ion Concentration in Buffer Eq. Expression

In summary, to find the pH of a buffer solution created by combining 100 mL of 0.2 M acetic acid and 400 mL of 0.10 M sodium acetate, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH directly from the numbers of moles of acid and conjugate base. The initial concentrations can be used as a good approximation since the changes induced by dissociation are small and can be ignored.
JeweliaHeart

Homework Statement

What is the pH of a buffer solution created by combining 100 mL of 0.2 M acetic acid and 400 mL of 0.10 M sodium acetate? Ka= 1.8 x 10^(-5)

Homework Equations

1.8 x 10-5=([C2H3O2-][H+])/([HC2H3O2])

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what I'm supposed to do to solve this problem, but I'm not sure how to set up the concentrations in the expression.

I think it should go like this:

1.8 x 10-5= (0.08+x)(x)/(0.04-x)

The explanation in my book has basically the same thing with just one tiny exception. In the equilibrium expression, it used only 0.08 as a concentration for C2H3O2-, without the x.

I thought the x would be necessary b/c 0.08 is only the initial concentration of the acetate ion and the acetic acid will dissociate more before reaching the equilibrium.

Any help would be nice. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a simple formula to it. Search for it. I believe it's Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Oh, thanks. I just figured it out.

While you are right about the fact acid can dissociate a little bit, in most typical situations changes induced by the dissociation are so small, we can safely ignore them. Then calculating pH of a buffer is just a matter of calculating concentrations of acid and conjugate base, and plugging them into Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Actually you don't even need to calculate concentrations, it is enough to calculate numbers of moles of acid and conjugate base, as volume cancels out.

Your approach is correct. The x represents the change in concentration of the acetate ion (C2H3O2-) as the acetic acid (HC2H3O2) dissociates. This change in concentration will affect the final pH of the buffer solution. Therefore, including the x in the concentration of C2H3O2- is necessary for an accurate calculation of the pH. Keep in mind that x will be a small value compared to the initial concentration of 0.08 M, so it can be neglected when solving for the pH.

Related to Writing Common Ion Concentration in Buffer Eq. Expression

What is a common ion concentration in a buffer equation expression?

A common ion concentration in a buffer equation expression refers to the concentration of an ion that is shared by both the acid and its conjugate base in a buffer solution. This ion is responsible for maintaining the pH of the solution by reacting with any added acids or bases.

Why is it important to consider common ion concentration in a buffer equation expression?

Considering the common ion concentration in a buffer equation expression is important because it affects the equilibrium of the buffer solution. The common ion shifts the equilibrium towards the side with fewer moles of the common ion, thus reducing the effectiveness of the buffer in maintaining a constant pH.

How do you calculate the common ion concentration in a buffer equation expression?

The common ion concentration can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which is pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]). The [A-] and [HA] represent the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively. The common ion concentration is equal to the concentration of the shared ion, which would be the sum of [A-] and [HA].

What is the relationship between common ion concentration and buffer capacity?

There is an inverse relationship between common ion concentration and buffer capacity. As the common ion concentration increases, the buffer capacity decreases. This is because the common ion reduces the ability of the buffer to neutralize added acids or bases, thus decreasing its effectiveness in maintaining a constant pH.

How does changing the common ion concentration affect the pH of a buffer solution?

Changing the common ion concentration of a buffer solution affects the pH by shifting the equilibrium of the buffer. An increase in common ion concentration will shift the equilibrium to the left, resulting in a decrease in pH, while a decrease in common ion concentration will shift the equilibrium to the right, resulting in an increase in pH.