Bus Circular Motion: Calculating Minimum Friction for Laptop Stability

In summary, the conversation revolves around a bus passenger trying to determine the minimum coefficient of static friction needed to keep her laptop from sliding on a flat seat while the bus is traveling at 10.0 m/s around a turn with a radius of 25.0 m. The necessary equations for solving this problem are given, including the centripetal force and frictional force equations. The passenger also mentions being sick and trying to catch up on missed classes and assignments.
farhannaeem
A bus passenger has her laptop sitting on the flat seat beside her as the bus, traveling at 10.0 m/s, goes around a turn with a radius of 25.0 m. what minimum coefficient of static friction in necessary to keep the laptop from sliding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show some work before we try to help you.

i am trying to get the steps on how to do this question. i can not think of a way to start this question.

Can you draw a FBD? If you can proceed. If not, I suggest you study that thoroughly before you attempt these questions

I will give you the necessary equations:

Centripetal Force [tex]F_{c} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

Frictional Force [tex]f = \mu_s N[/tex], where N is the normal force.

thanks ill try my best to finish it off
i was sick fro a couple of weeks
so i missed classes and now I am trying to study for the assignments and the tests i missed

Ah! ok. Do ask if you have issues learning anything. We can help. And when you do solve this question, follow up on this post and show what you have done.

Related to Bus Circular Motion: Calculating Minimum Friction for Laptop Stability

1. What is circular motion of a bus?

Circular motion of a bus is the motion of a bus traveling in a circular path, where the bus continuously changes direction while maintaining a constant speed.

2. What causes a bus to move in circular motion?

A bus moves in circular motion due to the centripetal force, which is the force that continuously pulls the bus towards the center of the circular path.

3. How is circular motion of a bus different from linear motion?

In linear motion, an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed. In circular motion, the object moves in a circular path with a constant speed but continuously changes direction.

4. What factors affect the circular motion of a bus?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a bus include the speed of the bus, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the bus.

5. How is circular motion of a bus relevant in real life?

Circular motion of a bus is relevant in real life because it can be observed in situations such as a bus navigating a roundabout or a bus traveling on a curved road. Understanding the principles of circular motion can also help engineers design safer and more efficient transportation systems.