Circular Motion with static friction

In summary, Nicky was struggling with an equation in her lesson and was able to find the answer after figuring out what was happening based on the given information.
NickyQT
1. Homework Statement

A bus passenger has her laptop sitting on the flat seat beside her as the bus, traveling at 10.0 m/s, goes around a turn with a radius of 25.0 m. What minimum coefficient of static friction is necessary to keep the laptop from sliding?

Given:

V = 10 m/s
r = 25.0 m

2. Homework Equations

Fc = mv ^ 2 / r

Ff = Us x Fn

3. The Attempt at a Solution
mv^2/r = Umg
U = v^2/gr
U = 10^2/9.6(25)
U = 100/245
U = 0.41 *rounded up

I think i got it right because i checked my lesson and this is the way they did it but i don't understand what is happening with the forces for me to get this solution, can someone please just clarify on what's actually happening and why this is what I'm supost to do (if it is infact correct).
Thank you - Nicky

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nicky, welcome to PF!

It appears that you got the correct answer by plugging in the given values into the equation you found in your lesson, without understanding why you were using that equation. This is definitely not a good thing.
You should become familiar with friction, Newton's laws, free body diagrams, and cenrtipetal acceleration. An object moving in a curved path (like a circle) experiences an acceleration, v^2/r, toward the center of the circle (why?) which must be caused by a net force acting toward the center of the circle, per Newton's 2nd law F_net = ma. In this case, the only force acting on the laptop toward the center of the circle is the friction force, uN, where N is found by applying Newton's first law in the vertical direction. Since the friction force is the only force acting toward the center, it is the net force acting toward the center, or the so called centripetal force.

Thank you so much, i just needed to picture it in my head, but now i understand how it works. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out =).

Related to Circular Motion with static friction

1. What is circular motion with static friction?

Circular motion with static friction is when an object moves in a circular path while experiencing static friction from another surface. This means that the object is not sliding or slipping on the surface, but rather the frictional force is preventing it from doing so.

2. How does static friction affect circular motion?

Static friction plays a crucial role in circular motion as it provides the centripetal force necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path. Without static friction, the object would continue to move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

3. Can the coefficient of static friction affect circular motion?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can affect circular motion. The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces and can impact the amount of static friction present in a circular motion scenario. A higher coefficient of static friction would provide a greater centripetal force, allowing the object to move in a tighter circular path.

4. How is centripetal force related to static friction in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path and is equal to the force of static friction in circular motion. This means that without static friction, there would be no centripetal force and the object would not be able to maintain circular motion.

5. What factors can affect the amount of static friction in circular motion?

The amount of static friction in circular motion can be affected by several factors, including the coefficient of static friction, the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. All of these factors can impact the amount of centripetal force and therefore affect the amount of static friction present in the motion.