Finding coefficient of static friction with velocity and radius

In summary, if the bus is going around a turn with a radius of 25 meters, and the bus has a static coefficient of friction of 0.4, the laptop will slide along the seat.
phee

Homework Statement

A bus passenger has her laptop sitting on the flat seat beside her as the bus, traveling at 10.0 m/s, goes around a turn with a radius of 25.0 m. What minimum coefficient of static friction is necessary to keep the laptop from sliding?

Given:

V = 10 m/s
r = 25.0 m

Homework Equations

Fc = mv ^ 2 / r

f = Us x Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Fs = Force of static frictionSo far I have:

Fc = mv^2 / r

Fs + mg = mv^2 / r

Fs = v^2 / r - g

Fs = 10 ^ 2 / 25 - 9.8

Fs = -5.8I don't think I am on the right track with this as my Fs is a negative. Any hint to the proper direction would be much appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand what Fs is and why do you add the weight to it. Since your object does not slide you can find a relation involving only the centripetal force and the friction force. From that you solve for the mu_s_min

bp_psy said:
I do not understand what Fs is and why do you add the weight to it. Since your object does not slide you can find a relation involving only the centripetal force and the friction force. From that you solve for the mu_s_min

Fs = Force of Static friction ?

Do I not need to find Fs?

phee said:
Fs = Force of Static friction ?

Do I not need to find Fs?

It is the adding of mg that is wrong. gravity acts vertically down. Fs acts horizontally. The centripetal force required is horizontal.

The normal force would be useful on two fronts. It balances the weight force and along with the coefficient of friction, enables you to calculate that coefficient.

Fs + mg + Fn = mv^2 / r is what you needed - and that is a vector sum formula so don't just go numerically adding and subtracting bits unless they are in the same direction

PeterO said:
The normal force would be useful on two fronts. It balances the weight force and along with the coefficient of friction, enables you to calculate that coefficient.

So how would I go about finding Fn and Fs ?

This is where I am totally lost, the only givens I have are the radius = 25 m and V = 10 m/s

phee said:
So how would I go about finding Fn and Fs ?

This is where I am totally lost, the only givens I have are the radius = 25 m and V = 10 m/s

Your 3rd equation should have been

Fs + mg + Fn = mv^2 / r

If we assume the seat is horizontal [a reasonable assumption] then the normal force will be the same size as the weight force, so they will balance, and could have been left out all together.

Fs = mju * Fn

where mju is the coefficient of friction.

Ultimately the mass will cancel out - which is useful as it would be unfortunate if only the light/heavy passengers in a bus could go around the corner with the bus.

I am also working on this question and stumbled upon the answer of 0.4. Without plugging in all of my work is anyone able to tell me if I am correct or completely wrong?

Related to Finding coefficient of static friction with velocity and radius

1. How do I find the coefficient of static friction using velocity and radius?

To find the coefficient of static friction, you can use the formula µ = v^2/rg, where µ is the coefficient of static friction, v is the velocity, r is the radius, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the object is moving in a circular path with a constant speed.

2. Can I use any unit for velocity and radius when finding the coefficient of static friction?

Yes, you can use any unit for velocity and radius as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use meters per second for velocity, you should also use meters for radius. This will ensure that the coefficient of static friction is calculated correctly.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the weight of the object. The coefficient of static friction is also dependent on the normal force between the object and the surface.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction determine if an object will slide or not?

If the coefficient of static friction is greater than the ratio of the applied force and the normal force, the object will not slide. However, if the coefficient of static friction is less than this ratio, the object will slide.

5. Can I use the coefficient of static friction to predict the motion of an object?

The coefficient of static friction can only determine if an object will slide or not. To predict the motion of an object, you will also need to consider other factors such as the applied force, the weight of the object, and the surface it is moving on.