Building a Tray Dryer (Dehydrator)

In summary, Hyo X. is looking for advice on how to build a tray dryer/medium scale dehydrator. She is looking for advice on what size dryer to build, what kind of energy source to use, and what temperature to set. She has found a design online, but would like to have something closer to half the size.
Scrag23
Hi All,

I know I may be shooting in the dark here but...I was hoping that someone on this forum can assist me. I am trying to build a tray dryer/ medium scale dehydrator. I'm starting a small fruit drying business but cannot afford to buy an commercial dryer. I've heard that some entrepreneurs have built their own so I was hoping that someone here would be able to help guide me on how to do this. I'd like my dryer to have a capacity to dry 100 - 200kgs of fruit per day. The other requirement is that energy be generated by liquid petroleum (LPG) instead of electricity. I would like it to have both a fan as well as a de-humidifier to speed up the drying process.

Is there anyone that can help me with at least outlining a model to build from?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpensive-Food-Dehydrator-with-Recycled-Parts/?ALLSTEPS

you could do something like that but make it a little bit larger and use a propane burner like this http://amzn.com/B000P9F02Y

If you wanted to be engineery about it you could calculate: wet weight and dry weight of fruits, volume of water lost by fruits, rate of water loss to atmosphere based on assumed humidity temperature, necessary airflow speed to ensure low humidity environment, and ideal temperature for that drying rate.
Or you could just build something and use more or less heat until the fruit is like you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Curiositatem
Thanks for the feedback Hyo X.

Since I am going to be using it for production of products that I am trying to sell, I would like to ensure that I get consistent results with the dryer. Ideally, the dryer would allow you to set a temperature. Currently, I am using an excalibur home dehydrator and dry my fruit at 145degrees. I find that anything higher than this alters the texture of the final product. The main fruit which I will be drying is coconut which usually decreases in weight by approximately 50% once fully dry.

Attached is an example of something along the lines that I am looking for (but I'd like something about half this size). It doesn't have to be exactly like this but just along those lines. Do you happen to know anyone that can help build something of this scale?

Attachments

• Tray dryer Coco Chips Ghana-3.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 324

Related to Building a Tray Dryer (Dehydrator)

1. How does a tray dryer work?

A tray dryer, also known as a dehydrator, works by circulating hot air over the trays containing the food or other material to be dried. The trays are stacked on top of each other, allowing the hot air to evenly circulate and dry the items. The hot air absorbs the moisture from the food or material, which is then expelled through vents.

2. What materials are needed to build a tray dryer?

The materials needed to build a tray dryer include a heating element, fan, thermostat, trays, and a frame. The heating element can be an electric bulb or a gas burner, while the fan is used to circulate the hot air. The thermostat is used to control the temperature, and the trays can be made of metal, plastic, or food-grade mesh. The frame can be made of wood, metal, or any other sturdy material.

3. How do you control the temperature in a tray dryer?

The temperature in a tray dryer can be controlled using a thermostat. The thermostat is connected to the heating element and turns it on and off to maintain the desired temperature. Some tray dryers also come with a timer to set the drying time. It is important to regularly monitor the temperature to ensure that it stays within the desired range.

4. What types of food can be dried in a tray dryer?

A variety of foods can be dried in a tray dryer, including fruits, vegetables, herbs, meat, and fish. The high temperatures and low humidity in a tray dryer make it an ideal environment for removing moisture from food. However, some foods may require pre-treatment before drying, such as blanching or marinating.

5. How do you maintain and clean a tray dryer?

To maintain a tray dryer, it is important to regularly clean the trays and the inside of the dryer to prevent the buildup of bacteria and mold. The trays can be washed with hot soapy water and dried thoroughly before use. The inside of the dryer can be wiped down with a damp cloth. It is also important to inspect and replace any damaged or worn parts, such as the heating element or fan, to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the tray dryer.