Build Comets in Classroom using Dry Ice and Blow Dryer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dry ice to create "comets" in a classroom setting. The person is looking for advice on using a blow dryer to create a stream of air and potential concerns about safety. It is mentioned that dry ice is very cold and can give off gaseous CO2, so precautions should be taken. It is also suggested to use goggles and to consider the lighting conditions for better visualization. Overall, the conversation provides tips and potential risks to consider when using dry ice for this demonstration.
nmsurobert
i wasnt sure where to post this question.
I want to build "comets" in my class room using dry ice. I am sure a few of you have seen this demo before. however, i want to use a blow dryer to warm it and to also create a stream of air so we can see the "tail" of the comet. I am also hoping that the heat from the dryer will create little jets off our comets.
may seem like a silly question or concern, but is there anything i need to worry about? its not going to explode or ignite, is it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It won't ignite. It can't really explode, but the CO2 could jettison a fragment of H2O ice, so there's a potential eye hazard.

ah ok. i didnt think about flying debris haha .maybe ill just use a fan.

Maybe obvious, but:
Dry ice is very cold. Handle with gloves or tongs.
Dry ice gives off gaseous CO2, which is an asphyxiant. Make sure the room is well ventilated.

nmsurobert said:
ah ok. i didnt think about flying debris haha .maybe ill just use a fan.
Pass out goggles. They should be handy in a science class.

A visible "tail" may depend on the relative humidity.

If you want little jets, you might want to pulverized your dry ice, mix it with something else of a different melting point (water?) and then refreeze it in a ball or lump (perhaps in an ice cube tray). The jet may result from sublimation from one site but not neighboring areas.

Doing your presentation in the proper lighting conditions will help in visualization.
Dark background, dark room, bright light from the side facing the observers.

1. How do I obtain dry ice for this activity?

Dry ice can usually be purchased at local grocery stores or ice suppliers. You can also order it online from various retailers. Make sure to handle dry ice with gloves and follow all safety precautions.

2. Can I use a regular blow dryer for this experiment?

Yes, a regular household blow dryer can be used for this activity. However, it may take longer to create the comet compared to using a more powerful blow dryer.

3. What materials do I need for this experiment?

You will need dry ice, a blow dryer, a large bowl or container, water, and a few common household items such as dish soap, food coloring, and glitter (optional).

4. How long will it take to create a comet using this method?

The amount of time it takes to create a comet using dry ice and a blow dryer will depend on the power of your blow dryer and the size of your dry ice pieces. Generally, it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

5. Is this activity safe for children?

This experiment should be supervised by an adult and all safety precautions should be followed. The dry ice can cause burns if not handled properly. It is also important to make sure the room is well-ventilated, as the carbon dioxide gas released from the dry ice can displace oxygen.