Build a Spaghetti Bridge for 11th Grade Physics

• Thread starter Mendax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the student plans to build a spaghetti bridge using U-bolts to distribute the weight. The dimensions of the bridge are 110cm long, 50cm high, and 10cm wide. The bridge can extend off the bottom 10cm and have a total length of 100cm. The weights will be held by a U-bolt on the bottom-center of the bridge. The student has a picture of the bridge, but is not able to post it yet.
Mendax
I need to make a spaghetti bridge for 11th grade physics. I already have an idea, though I would appreciate your opinions. :smile:

Dimensions:

The top can be 110cm long, 50cm high, and have a 10 cm width. The bridge can extend off the bottom 10cm and have a total length of 100cm (you may have noticed that the top is longer than the bottom... that's because the blocks holding the bridge up on both sides will take some space on the bottom).

I have a picture, but I can't post it yet. Can I pm them to another member, (preferably the first person who replies), so (s)he can put it up?

Additional information:

Please note that the dimensions in the picture are for the large bride. I have an option of building a small bride, the differences being the 100cm bottom gap should be 50cm and the 110cm top should be 60cm. The large bridge should be 2000g and the small bridge should be 1000g. Please note that these are the maximum values allowed.

A 6cm x 6cm x 10cm car should pass freely through the entire bridge.

The weights will be held by a U-bolt on the bottom-center of the bridge.

Idea:

To help distribute the weight from the middle and towards the ends of the bridge, I decided to try a diamond type shape. Basically, it looks like this- <>.

This is something that would really be helpful to provide a picture, but once again I am not able to do so because of forum regulations.

So, I was just hoping you guys could give me tips on how I could improve my design.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think triangles!
In engineering the structure is called a truss, there are a huge number of different truss designs, just look at any victorian railway bridge.

Another tip = don't cook the spaghetti!

Thanks for the tip. :-p

If I Pm the pictures to you, would you mind adding them to your post? It's hard to describe my design and pictures would make it easier for everyone.

Sorry to double post, but I need to bump this because I'll be working on the bridge tomorrow.

upload the pic on tinypic.com(google the website) and then post the link of the pic. easy

It doesn't allow me to post urls either.

I would say PM it to me but I am leaving in a moment and won't be home all day. Sorry. Maybe you could just do something like this "www yahoo dot com" most people will know how to deal with it. You could also report your post to a moderator and ask them to add your link.

you can PM it to me then, i'll post it.

Related to Build a Spaghetti Bridge for 11th Grade Physics

1. How do I choose the best type of spaghetti for my bridge?

The best type of spaghetti for a bridge will depend on several factors, including the weight of the bridge, the length of the bridge, and the overall design. Generally, thicker spaghetti will be more durable and able to support heavier loads. It is recommended to use spaghetti with a diameter of at least 2mm for this project.

2. How should I design my spaghetti bridge to make it strong?

There are several design techniques that can help make your spaghetti bridge stronger. These include using triangles for stability, creating a truss structure, and distributing the weight evenly across the bridge. It is also important to use a sufficient number of support pillars and a sturdy base to prevent the bridge from collapsing.

3. How much weight can a spaghetti bridge hold?

The weight that a spaghetti bridge can hold will depend on various factors, such as the type of spaghetti used, the design and construction of the bridge, and the distribution of weight. On average, a well-designed spaghetti bridge can hold anywhere from 5-20 pounds. However, some bridges have been able to hold up to 50 pounds or more.

4. What is the best way to test the strength of my spaghetti bridge?

The best way to test the strength of your spaghetti bridge is to gradually add weight to the bridge until it collapses. It is important to add weight slowly and evenly to ensure that the bridge is able to support the weight without breaking. You can also use a scale to measure the amount of weight the bridge is able to hold before collapsing.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a spaghetti bridge?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a spaghetti bridge include using too few support pillars, not distributing weight evenly across the bridge, using weak or thin spaghetti, and not securing the joints properly. It is also important to test and make adjustments to your bridge design before adding weight to ensure its stability and strength.