Bridge design homework problem

In summary, a light spaghetti bridge may be possible, but it is unsure if it will hold up well to stress.
Marghk
I need a bit of help here. I have an upcoming assessment towards bridge design. The task is to create and construct a bridge made out of dried spaghetti sticks. The bridge is to be as light as possible while holding the most weight.

I currently have 1 main design I'm leaning towards, but I'm unsure that it would be successful. I don't want to construct the bridge to find out it collapses on me.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/9060/bridgeif7.png

I believe that the triangle, upside down would serve me better. Though I'm still unsure about the whole design of it. I just basically want to know if this would be an idealistic plan to making a bridge, or if any other designs could easily top mine.

The KEY guidelines are below, in which the bridge must follow.

Key Guidelines:
- The span of the bridge cannot exceed 648mm
- The roadway (width) of the bridge must equal roughly 80mm
- The bridge must NOT exceed 1000g

If anyone can offer advice about my plan, it would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
why upside down? I'm not a CE, but I'm guessing spaghetti is stronger in tension than compression. And the center truss is under compression where buckling failure might be an issue. Now if you stick a big bundle of strands here, might do fine. This is the wrong thread to post such a problem but caught my eye.

That's a good basic and simple design; however, if you want to elaborate on it and make it hold up well. Take a page from the Romans and create arches (smaller triangles).

Last edited:
The problem I see with this is the end reactions/support. I would consider a bow truss, not inverted. The thing to remember in trusses is that the further away the top chord is from the bottom chord, the more resistance you will have to bending stresses. Also, to prevent buckling of the compressive members, use short or built up pieces.

Related to Bridge design homework problem

1. How do I determine the load on the bridge?

In order to determine the load on the bridge, you will need to consider the weight of the bridge itself, the weight of any vehicles or pedestrians that will be using the bridge, and any additional factors such as wind or seismic activity. You can use equations and calculations to estimate the load on the bridge.

2. What materials are best for building a bridge?

The best materials for building a bridge will depend on various factors such as the location, the type of bridge, and the expected load on the bridge. Some commonly used materials for bridge construction include steel, concrete, and wood. The material chosen should be strong, durable, and able to withstand the expected load and environmental conditions.

3. How do I determine the dimensions of the bridge?

The dimensions of the bridge will depend on the span length, the width of the bridge, and the desired height. To determine these dimensions, you will need to consider the load on the bridge, the materials used, and the type of bridge being constructed. You can use equations and calculations to determine the most suitable dimensions for your bridge.

4. How do I ensure the safety of the bridge?

Ensuring the safety of the bridge is crucial in the design process. This can be achieved by considering factors such as the load on the bridge, the materials used, and the structural integrity of the design. It is important to follow industry standards and regulations for bridge design and construction to ensure the safety of the bridge.

5. How do I account for environmental factors in bridge design?

Environmental factors such as wind, water, and seismic activity can have a significant impact on the design and safety of a bridge. To account for these factors, you can use computer simulations and calculations to analyze the potential effects on the bridge. It is also important to consider the location and its specific environmental conditions during the design process.