Build a Spaghetti Bridge - Holds 10-15kgs!

• Thread starter liv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
Expert SummarizerIn summary, Liv is looking for tips and ideas on how to create a spaghetti bridge that can hold 10-15 kgs. She has shared her preference for using lasagne sheets and canneloni tubes, and is open to suggestions for improving her design. It is recommended to use sturdier materials, stronger adhesives, and incorporate triangular shapes in the design. Testing and iteration are also important in creating a successful spaghetti bridge.
liv
hey,

the rules are as follows:
70cm long
200g heavy
use anything to keep it together

my preference:
holds about 10-15 kgs (it can be done)

spaghetti doesn't stretch or bend, cause it snaps, my dad thought of tube spaghetti (bucatini), one in the centre, and five round the outside, held with glue and make that long enough and wide enough...

i figure that it won't work cause of the strain...

my idea was more simple...

lasagne sheets on the bottom, canneloni (fat tubes of spaghetti) up right the whole length of the bridge, and then lasagne sheets on top...theoretically it should be one of the best options cause it only involves the spaghetti being compressed, not stretched at any point...

the previous record was about 17kg...if anyone can give me tips or ideas, please do...

thank you!

liv
x

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Liv,

Thank you for sharing your ideas for creating a spaghetti bridge that can hold 10-15 kgs. I have some suggestions that may help you in your design process.

Firstly, it is important to consider the materials you are using. Spaghetti is a brittle and lightweight material, so it may not be the best choice for supporting heavy weights. You may want to consider using a sturdier material, such as wooden dowels or popsicle sticks, for the main structure of the bridge. You can then use spaghetti to add smaller details or for aesthetic purposes.

Additionally, instead of using glue to hold the spaghetti together, you may want to consider using a stronger adhesive, such as epoxy or hot glue. These adhesives will create a stronger bond and can better withstand the weight of the bridge.

Another important factor to consider is the shape and structure of the bridge. The shape of the bridge can greatly affect its strength and ability to hold weight. For example, triangular shapes are known to be the strongest and most stable when it comes to building structures. You may want to incorporate triangles into your design by using spaghetti to create trusses or braces.

Lastly, it is important to test and iterate your design. Building a prototype and testing it with different weights can help you identify weak points and make necessary adjustments to strengthen your bridge.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you in creating a spaghetti bridge that can hold 10-15 kgs. Good luck with your project!

Hi Liv,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and thought process for building a spaghetti bridge that can hold 10-15 kgs. It's great to see your enthusiasm for this challenge and your willingness to explore different options.

I definitely agree with you that using lasagne sheets and canneloni tubes would be a more practical and effective approach compared to using tube spaghetti. As you mentioned, spaghetti is not very flexible and can easily snap under strain, so using a combination of lasagne sheets and canneloni tubes would distribute the weight more evenly and provide better support.

One suggestion I have is to also consider using a strong adhesive, such as hot glue or epoxy, to secure the lasagne sheets and canneloni tubes together. This will help to strengthen the structure and prevent any parts from coming loose under the weight.

Another tip I would recommend is to test your bridge design before adding the full weight of 10-15 kgs. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments and ensure that your bridge is able to hold the weight without collapsing.

Overall, I think your idea of using lasagne sheets and canneloni tubes is a solid approach and with some additional reinforcement, I believe your bridge can definitely hold 10-15 kgs. Good luck with your project and I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Related to Build a Spaghetti Bridge - Holds 10-15kgs!

1. How do spaghetti bridges work?

Spaghetti bridges work by utilizing the strength and stability of the triangular shape. When spaghetti noodles are arranged in a series of triangles, they distribute the weight evenly and can support a considerable amount of weight.

2. How much weight can a spaghetti bridge hold?

A well-designed spaghetti bridge can hold anywhere from 10 to 15 kilograms, depending on the materials used and the construction techniques used. However, some bridges have been known to hold even more weight.

3. What materials are needed to build a spaghetti bridge?

The main material needed to build a spaghetti bridge is, of course, spaghetti noodles. You will also need glue, toothpicks, and a sturdy base to start building on. Some people also use additional materials like popsicle sticks or rubber bands for added support.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a spaghetti bridge?

When designing a spaghetti bridge, it is important to consider the strength of the materials used, the overall shape and structure of the bridge, and the distribution of weight. It is also important to consider how forces such as tension and compression will affect the bridge.

5. What is the purpose of building a spaghetti bridge?

The purpose of building a spaghetti bridge is to learn about structural engineering and the principles of physics. It is also a fun and creative way to explore how different materials and designs can affect the strength and stability of a structure.