BS in space studies for MS. In engineering physics?

In summary: These courses sound more like Introductory Physics or Classical Mechanics. They may be good for someone who is not intending to go into science or engineering, but they would not be good for someone who wants to study space science or engineering. If you want to go into engineering, you should start with an engineering degree.
jonq1987
I was thinking since alone it's a bit general I could fill my electives with physics 1 and 2 , diff equations, chem, etc and a ton of math. Would that be enough to get me into a grad engineering prog? It is the BS in space studies from APUS.

Physics news on Phys.org
jonq1987 said:
I was thinking since alone it's a bit general I could fill my electives with physics 1 and 2 , diff equations, chem, etc and a ton of math. Would that be enough to get me into a grad engineering prog? It is the BS in space studies from APUS.

space studies is the program name? post some links so we can see the program.

nlsherrill said:
space studies is the program name? post some links so we can see the program.

sorry should have done that lol http://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/programs/degree/1264/bachelor-of-science-in-space-studies

Last edited by a moderator:
Without looking very deeply at the link, the first thing that jumps out is that there is no requirement for Calculus or any Math higher than Trig and Algebra. I don't think this is a science course the way that people on this forum would view the word 'science.'

If you want to do engineering, you should really do an engineering undergrad degree. Why wait?

I have a deep suspicion about ANY course with "studies" in its title.

At a quick look, that course seems more aimed at teaching people "about" space exploration, law, etc, not at teaching them enough to get technically involved in "doing" it.

If you want to do engieering at grad school, then start with an engineering degree - or at least, physics, math, or chemistry (if you want to go into Chem Eng).

I will mostly echo the previous two posts. This program seems to be designed for folks interested in policy and/or management. There is nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't come close to preparing you for grad school in engineering or physics or anything of the sort. It doesn't even prepare you for soph/jr level engineering / physics courses!

Some example portions of course descriptions that jumped out at me:

Introduction to physics with lab: This course offers an introduction to classical physics for nonscientists.

introduction to orbital mechanics: Designed for the non-scientist student

both of these courses are lower level than the physics taken by engineering or physics freshmen.

Also, the space weather course has no prereq. of electromagnetic theory. This is clearly not a science course. If you want to understand the physics of space weather, jr/sr level electromagnetic theory is an absolute minimum requirement. I pick on this course in particular since I studied space weather related physics in grad school.

If you want to go to grad school in engineering then you should major in engineering. There would be nothing to stop you from taking a few Space Studies courses as electives if they really sound interesting to you. Your idea of taking physics 1 and 2, chem, calculus, differential equations, etc., will simply give you the prerequisites for the soph/jr level engineering/physics classes, it will not give you the background to go to grad school.

good luck,

jason

Related to BS in space studies for MS. In engineering physics?

1. What is the difference between a BS in space studies and an MS in engineering physics?

A BS in space studies typically focuses on the interdisciplinary study of space science, policy, and operations. On the other hand, an MS in engineering physics is a more specialized degree that focuses on the application of physics principles to engineering problems, with a particular emphasis on space-related technologies.

2. What courses are typically included in a BS in space studies for MS in engineering physics?

Courses in a BS in space studies for MS in engineering physics may include topics such as space systems engineering, orbital mechanics, space policy and law, aerospace materials, and space propulsion systems.

3. What career opportunities are available with a BS in space studies for MS in engineering physics?

Graduates with this degree combination can pursue careers in various fields, including aerospace engineering, space systems design, space policy and law, and research and development for space technologies.

4. Can I pursue a PhD after completing a BS in space studies for MS in engineering physics?

Yes, students with this degree combination can pursue a PhD in fields such as aerospace engineering, physics, or astrophysics. This can open up opportunities for research and academic careers.

5. Is there a demand for professionals with a BS in space studies for MS in engineering physics?

Yes, with the increasing interest in space exploration and the development of new technologies for space travel, there is a growing demand for professionals with a background in both space studies and engineering physics. This degree combination provides a unique skill set that can be applied to various industries and organizations related to space.