BS in Econ, back to school sooner than later... Hopefully?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Tandem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the speaker is a 25-year-old looking to take advantage of a new Army program that offers a two-year contract, student loan repayment, and GI Bill accessibility. They are interested in pursuing a degree in either physics or engineering, but are unsure which to choose. They mention a particular interest in gravity and a desire to attend a school with a strong academic focus. They have a 3.2 cumulative GPA and 3.65 major GPA and are wondering if they can apply to PhD programs without having an undergraduate degree in physics. They are seeking advice on their academic and career path.
Tandem
Hey guys, I would like to preface this by saying I don't graduate until December 2017, at 25 years old. Then I am looking to take advantage of the new program the Army rolled out, two-year contract, student loan repayment, and GI Bill accessibility. Hopefully in a computer science/engineering/mechanical type MOS, then returning to school.

Essentially, I am looking for some advice for going back to school to earn a degree in either physics or engineering. The tough part for me is deciding which to actually undertake, I like reading about special relativity and quantum mechanics, but I find it difficult to say, "Once I am "done" with physics/engineering this is what I want to do," simply because I don't know enough about physics/engineering, if I am being honest. I do know I have taken a particular interest in gravity, particularly reading about what they do over at LIGO.

When I go back to school I would definitely love to go to an academically rich environment, where I currently attend is a smaller school where the student body and administration are much more focused on athletics than academics. Much of the student body is apathetic when it comes to getting involved, which is fine I would just like something different. I do not have undergraduate grades to get into and Ivy league school at all, ~3.2 cumulative GPA ~3.65 major GPA. I have only taken two mathematics courses, Calculus I and II, unfortunately a course I need to graduate is the same time Calc III offered in the fall so I won't be able to take it.

I am not sure if physics is somewhat like economics when it comes to schooling, and by that I mean there are a few smaller, less broadly known schools that have great physics programs, but I would be delighted to hear about these places.

Anyway, any sort of direction/guidance/advice you could give me would be great. I can't thank you all enough.Tandem

Physics news on Phys.org
Or better yet, instead of having to do four years again would I be able to take just the physics and math courses required for a physics major, then apply to PhD programs without technically having an undergraduate degree in physics?

Related to BS in Econ, back to school sooner than later... Hopefully?

1. What is a BS in Econ?

A BS in Econ refers to a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics. It is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions about the allocation of resources.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a BS in Econ?

There are several benefits to pursuing a BS in Econ, including gaining a strong understanding of economic principles and theories, developing critical thinking and analytical skills, and having a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, consulting, and government.

3. Can I go back to school for a BS in Econ after a break?

Yes, it is possible to go back to school for a BS in Econ after taking a break. Many universities offer flexible options for non-traditional students, such as online courses or part-time programs, to accommodate individuals who may have work or family commitments.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a BS in Econ?

The duration of a BS in Econ program can vary depending on factors such as the institution, the student's course load, and whether or not the individual takes breaks or pursues additional education. Generally, it takes around 4 years of full-time study to complete a BS in Econ.

5. What skills can I expect to gain from a BS in Econ?

A BS in Econ can help develop a variety of skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. These skills are highly sought after in many industries and can be applied to a wide range of careers.