Browse unanswered threads is back

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Unanswered Threads link is located in the Forums navigation drop down, right below New Posts. The list by default shows the last 5 days worth. There is a link at the top right to push it to 7 days. There is a button to "auto-bump" posts to increase the number of responses. The first person to respond to a thread gets a trophy.
Physics news on Phys.org
I've added a widget to the main page to help you keep up to date

uat.png

Up to 57! See if you can help out
https://www.physicsforums.com/unanswered/threads

There are so many of them appearing during the weekends.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I should also mention that there is a trophy awarded to those who are often the first to respond to a thread.
There are many of them. Get them all!

mfb said:
There are many of them. Get them all!
I added a new one yesterday :)

mfb said:
I got an alert for it :D.
omg I should have made it higher lol :biggrin:

Likes BruceW
Greg Bernhardt said:
omg I should have made it higher lol :biggrin:
What are the levels, Greg?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Woah up to 67!
Well, that just shows how popular the forum is and you should take it as a good thing :smile:

We're approaching record levels. See if you can help
https://www.physicsforums.com/unanswered/threads

I just joined the forums and I can say without a doubt, my favorite part about the forums is looking at the unanswered thread and trying to flex my knowledge! I think I am a level two first responder? But honestly, I just like trying to help people out!

Likes mooncrater, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
this is very helpful

The evolution of PF does not cease to amaze.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Now that school is winding down, let's see if we can make some progress shaving this list down.

I fear I have to be the bearer of bad news (if I'm the first one, otherwise ignore this), the courtesy bump sometimes (not often as far as I can tell) marks a topic answered.
But it drops down the list once again.
Reason I mention this is that when I checked a recent topic of mine which got such a bump, I found another topic in the similar discussions box which suffered this faith.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/spectrum-of-the-reduced-matrixs-eigenvalues.778158/

I'm not sure how to think about this. It's sad some threads don't get solved, but that's just how it is.
Maybe there can be a new category, threads that have been bumped (with a possible expiration date) so people can see a list if they are interested in such a feature.
This however strongly depends on the "bumping technology" i.e. whether this is at all possible.

Joris

Edit; Down to 38 threads by the way

Last edited:
JorisL said:
I fear I have to be the bearer of bad news (if I'm the first one, otherwise ignore this), the courtesy bump sometimes (not often as far as I can tell) marks a topic answered.

This is true. It's just an attempt to give it one last bit of visability.

JorisL said:
I'm not sure how to think about this. It's sad some threads don't get solved, but that's just how it is.

True as well. We just want to give every thread a reasonable chance of being seen and replied to.

Down to 30, but there are some very specialized questions that are hard to answer.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Seem like a fairly crucial feature.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Down to 11, can we send it to 0?
Nah. It's like brushing your teeth. You'll just have to do it again tomorrow anyway. :smile:

phinds said:
Nah. It's like brushing your teeth. You'll just have to do it again tomorrow anyway. :smile:
and... don't you...? :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
and... don't you...? :biggrin:
Yeah, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to. The consequence of rotten teeth are even worse than having unanswered threads :smile:

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
phinds said:
Yeah, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to. The consequence of rotten teeth are even worse than having unanswered threads :smile:
In 20 years science will prove otherwise :biggrin: