Branch points and cuts of multivalued function

In summary, the function has two branch points at z=0 and z=\infty and the negative real axis is often selected to be the branch cut. The difficulty lies in identifying the branch points of the cascaded function Log(1+z^\alpha).
elgen

Homework Statement

This problem is on how to identify the branch points and the branch cuts of a multivalued function. Consider the following function [itex]f(z)=Log(1+z^\alpha)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a rational number and [itex]z\in \mathcal{C}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Obviously, for the function [itex]z^\alpha[/itex], it has two branch points at [itex]z=0[/itex] and [itex]z=\infty[/itex]. Also, for the function [itex]Log(z)[/itex], it has two branch points at [itex]z=0[/itex] and [itex]z=\infty[/itex] and the negative real axis is often selected to be the branch cut.

The Attempt at a Solution

My difficulty lies in identifying the branch points of the cascaded function[itex]f(z)=Log(1+z^\alpha)[/itex]. Let [itex]z=r e^{j\theta}[/itex]. we have
[itex]Log[1+r^\alpha e^{i\alpha(2\pi k+\theta)})=Log(1+r^\alpha\cos(\alpha(2\pi k+\theta))+i r^\alpha\sin(\alpha(2\pi k+\theta))][/itex]. If I let
[itex] 1+r^\alpha\cos(\alpha(2\pi k+\theta)) < 0[/itex] and
[itex]r^\alpha\sin(\alpha(2\pi k+\theta)) =0 [/itex]. I have [itex]\theta=\frac{m\pi}{\alpha}-2\pi k[/itex] and [itex]r^\alpha\cos(m\pi)<-1[/itex].

I get [itex]m[/itex] must odd, and [itex] r>1 [/itex]. This seems to suggest that a branch cut starting at [itex]r>1[/itex] and an angle [itex]\theta=\frac{m\pi}{\alpha}-2\pi k[/itex].

When I plot the function in Mathematica, the branch cut starts at z=0 and extends along the negative real axis. This is in contradiction with my prediction.

How could I identify the branch cut and branch points of this function?

Thank you.Elgen

Physics news on Phys.org
The branch points of Log(z) are 0 and ∞ so find the points where 1+z^α=0 or ∞.

Thank you for the pointer. For the branch point at [itex]0[/itex], I got [itex]r=1[/itex] and [itex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{a}+2\pi k[/itex]. For the branch point at [itex]\infty[/itex], I got [itex]z=\infty[/itex].

I tried [itex]a=2/3[/itex] and used Mathematica to plot the riemann sheet. Interestingly, the following two commands give different branch cuts.

http://www.pixhost.org/show/2790/14843468_screenshot.png
14843468_screenshot.png

The top one uses [itex]Log(1+(r e^{i\theta})^a)[/itex] and it has a branch cut starting at 0 and along the negative real axis.

The bottom one uses [itex]Log(1+r^a e^{i\theta a})[/itex]. It gives one branch cut predicted by the calculation and another branch cut along the positive real axis.

Last edited:
For the non-zero finite branch points, why not just solve:

[tex]1+z^{m/n}=0[/tex]

to obtain:

[tex]z=(-1)^{n/m}=\large{e^{\frac{ni}{m}(\pi+2k\pi)},\quad k=0,1,2,\cdots,m-1}[/tex]

Won't that do it?

Also, Mathematica by default is only plotting the principal branch. Take for example, the function:

[tex]f(z)=\log(1+\sqrt{z})[/tex]

which has a finite branch-point at 0 and 1. However, the branch point at z=1 is not part of the principal branch and so Mathematica only shows the branch-cut eminating from z=0 along the negative real axis (the default branch cut for the principal-valued log function) when you just do a standard plot of the function.

Last edited:
the function z^α also contributes branch points

Thank you for the assistance.

jackmell said:
For the non-zero finite branch points, why not just solve:

[tex]1+z^{m/n}=0[/tex]

to obtain:

[tex]z=(-1)^{n/m}=\large{e^{\frac{ni}{m}(\pi+2k\pi)},\quad k=0,1,2,\cdots,m-1}[/tex]

Won't that do it?

That would equally do.

Also, Mathematica by default is only plotting the principal branch. Take for example, the function:

[tex]f(z)=\log(1+\sqrt{z})[/tex]

which has a finite branch-point at 0 and 1. However, the branch point at z=1 is not part of the principal branch and so Mathematica only shows the branch-cut eminating from z=0 along the negative real axis (the default branch cut for the principal-valued log function) when you just do a standard plot of the function.

I think my confusion is more at the conceptual level. when we have a function y=f(z), we have "z" associated with the domain, and y associated with a co-domain (range).

a) is the branch point a point in the domain or the co-domain?

b) Why do you say that there are two finite branch point at 0 and 1? How do you know that the branch point at z=1 is not part of the principle branch?

elgen said:
I think my confusion is more at the conceptual level. when we have a function y=f(z), we have "z" associated with the domain, and y associated with a co-domain (range).

a) is the branch point a point in the domain or the co-domain?

b) Why do you say that there are two finite branch point at 0 and 1? How do you know that the branch point at z=1 is not part of the principle branch?

Branch-points are part of the domain. I meant there is a branch-point at zero and a branch-point at 1. Just wanted to distinguish those from the branch-point at infinity. Take the quantity:

[tex]f(z)=1+z^{1/2}=1+r^{1/2} e^{i\arg(z)}[/tex]
where now the quantity [itex]arg(z)[/itex] is the analytically-continuous version of the argument function and let the radius be greater than one and start at z=2 and go around in the positive sense. Plot the arg(f(z)) as z goes around a 2pi rotation using Manipulate in Mathematica:

Code:
f[z_] := 1 + 2 Exp[I t/2];
Manipulate[
 ParametricPlot[{Re[f[z]], Im[f[z]]} /. z -> 2 Exp[I t], {t, 0, tval},
   PlotRange -> {{-3, 3}, {-3, 3}}], {tval, 0.01, 2 \[Pi]}]

The arg(f(z)) only reaches the principal branch cut of pi when z has made a complete revolution and so does not encounter the branch-cut eminating from z=1 on this first revolution but would encounter it on the second revolution.

That's probably confussing. Sorry. Here's a plot of Im(1+z^{1/2}). The red surface is the principal branch that you get with the standard Mathematica plot function.

Attachments

• log sheet.jpg
    log sheet.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
I think I am convinced that although each branch has a domain defined over the complex plane, the domain can have a different branch cut for each branch.

Thank you for the helpful discussion.

Related to Branch points and cuts of multivalued function

1. What is a branch point of a multivalued function?

A branch point of a multivalued function is a point where the function is not single-valued. This means that there are multiple outputs for a single input, leading to a branching or multi-branched behavior. In other words, the function is not well-defined at a branch point.

2. How are branch points and cuts related in a multivalued function?

Branch points and cuts are closely related in a multivalued function. The branch points are the points where the function is not single-valued, and the cuts are the paths or curves that are used to make the function single-valued. Branch points are often located at the endpoints of cuts.

3. What is a branch cut of a multivalued function?

A branch cut of a multivalued function is a path or curve on the complex plane that is used to define the branches of the function. It is chosen in such a way that it separates the multiple branches of the function and makes it single-valued. The choice of branch cut is not unique and can vary depending on the specific function.

4. How do branch points and cuts affect the behavior of a multivalued function?

The presence of branch points and cuts can significantly affect the behavior of a multivalued function. They can lead to discontinuities, non-analytic behavior, and multiple-valuedness. The choice of branch cuts can also affect the analyticity and differentiability of the function. It is important to carefully consider the branch points and cuts when working with multivalued functions.

5. What is a Riemann surface in relation to branch points and cuts?

A Riemann surface is a mathematical concept that is closely related to branch points and cuts in multivalued functions. It is a complex surface on which the multivalued function is defined in a single-valued manner. The Riemann surface can be thought of as a "folded" version of the complex plane, with the branch points and cuts represented as folds or creases. It is a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the behavior of multivalued functions.