Books similar to"Art of Problem Solving"

In summary, the conversation is about finding books similar to AOPS, specifically in the areas of number theory, geometry, calculus, and combinatorics. The website Terry Tao's "What's New" Blog is suggested for finding these books, and some recommendations are given such as "Naive Set Theory" and "What is Mathematics". The conversation also notes that these books may be more suitable for advanced students rather than for teaching purposes.
sahilmm15
Can you share some similar books like AOPS . Alternative of each book is preferred. I am finding other ones cause they are not available here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I couldn't get it.

The art of insight in science and engineering
Street fighting mathematics
Geometry revisited
How to solve it
Guesstimation
Back of the Envelope Physics

• Informative
Likes yucheng
Can you please "read" the question again?

sahilmm15 said:
Can you please "read" the question again?

You need to expand on ”what” you are looking for. I interpret it as wanting books on problem solving.

I m sorry for any misunderstanding. I was looking for books similar to them in each aspect like :- Number theory, geometry, calculus, combinatorics. You should visit their website to see their books. Then I think you would find some. https://artofproblemsolving.com/store

If you are looking for stuff to teach from, I cannot be of much help. If you are looking for stuff for a bright student to read, there are things in the my previous recommendation that would be of value. Some books suitable for the young that I have enjoyed are
Naive Set Theory by Halmos
What is Mathematics by Courant
Excursions in Number Theory by Ogilvy
Geometry and Imagination by Hilbert

Last edited:
Likes yucheng

Related to Books similar to"Art of Problem Solving"

1. What is "Art of Problem Solving"?

"Art of Problem Solving" is a series of textbooks and online resources designed to help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills in mathematics and other STEM subjects.

2. Are there any other books similar to "Art of Problem Solving"?

Yes, there are many books that follow a similar approach to "Art of Problem Solving." Some popular options include "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel.

3. Who are these books intended for?

These books are primarily intended for students who are interested in mathematics and want to improve their problem-solving abilities. They are often used by high school and college students preparing for math competitions or advanced coursework.

4. How do these books differ from traditional math textbooks?

"Art of Problem Solving" and similar books focus on developing problem-solving skills rather than simply teaching mathematical concepts. They often include challenging problems and encourage students to think creatively and critically about solutions.

5. Can these books be used as a supplement to traditional math education?

Yes, many educators use "Art of Problem Solving" and similar books as a supplement to traditional math education. They can provide additional challenges and help students develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.