Books on the History of Physics and Math

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for an entertaining book on the history of physics and math. The book "Entanglement" by Amir Aczel is recommended and other suggestions include "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, "Mathematics and the Physical World" by Morris Kline, "Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times" by Morris Kline, "To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science" by Steven Weinberg, and "Archimedes: What Did He Do Besides Cry Eureka?" by Sherman Stein and John Barrow. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to visit the library to browse through books on the topic.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I'm looking for an entertaining book on the history of physics and math. I just want it to read for fun. A book that I really enjoyed (really, really) was Entanglement by Amir Aczel. It highlighted how everyone worked together, how they fought, etc.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Likes Demystifier and BiGyElLoWhAt
Ha! Check the search results for that. Google shopping. The 3rd one down. I wonder what's so special?
Edit*
Ahh, I see. It's inscribed by Feynman.

Mathematics and the Physical World by Morris Kline is an interesting book. Not very technical, only a basic knowledge of HS mathematics is needed.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
That actually sounds really neat! Nearly exactly what I was looking for in terms of mathematics. Thanks.

J. Stillwell wrote an excellent book in the history of mathematics.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Morris Kline's Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times is also an enjoyable read albeit at a higher level.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
"To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science" by Steven Weinberg,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062346652/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The body of this non-mathematical but scholarly book starts with the the ancient Greeks and ends with Newton. There is also some more modern stuff in "Epilogue: The Grand Reduction" and a little math in "Technical Notes".

From the Preface:

"So this book is not solely about how we came to learn various things about the world. This naturally a concern of any history of science. My focus in this book is a little different - it is how we came to learn how to learn about the world."

We teach our kids a cartoon version of how to do science called the Scientific Method, Hypothesis ,,, Result, so I like

"Archimedes was smart enough to choose the right postulates, but scientific research is more honestly reported as a tangle of deduction, induction, and guesswork."

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes smodak, vanhees71 and BiGyElLoWhAt
Thanks for all the suggestions. A lot of these look really cool. The only question is: Where to begin? Lol

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. A lot of these look really cool. The only question is: Where to begin? Lol
In your situation the best is to go to a library and browse through books about the topic you are interested in. It's great fun, and you may find a book to read in more detail. At least it's the cheapest way to get started, because if you don't already exactly know what you are interested in, it's a pretty expensive way to just buy books from suggestions of others, which may have much different tastes and needs the you have :-)).

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
vanhees71 said:
In your situation the best is to go to a library and browse through books about the topic you are interested in. It's great fun, and you may find a book to read in more detail. At least it's the cheapest way to get started, because if you don't already exactly know what you are interested in, it's a pretty expensive way to just buy books from suggestions of others, which may have much different tastes and needs the you have :-)).
Then again, you can never own enough books :wink:

Likes Demystifier, vanhees71 and BiGyElLoWhAt
I agree. I have a descent collection, but with all these 10ish dollar books, I got to catch 'em all.

Related to Books on the History of Physics and Math

What is the significance of studying the history of physics and math?

The history of physics and math helps us understand how our current knowledge and theories have developed over time. It also allows us to appreciate the contributions of past scientists and how their work has influenced modern science.

What are some recommended books on the history of physics and math?

Some popular books on the history of physics and math include "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, "God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. Other recommended titles include "The Story of Science" by Joy Hakim and "E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation" by David Bodanis.

How can studying the history of physics and math improve our understanding of current scientific concepts?

Studying the history of physics and math allows us to see the evolution of scientific ideas and how they have been refined over time. This can provide a deeper understanding of current concepts and how they relate to past theories and discoveries.

Are there any online resources for learning about the history of physics and math?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about the history of physics and math. Some examples include the History of Science Society, the American Institute of Physics' Center for History of Physics, and the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.

Is it necessary to have a background in physics and math to understand books on the history of these subjects?

While a background in physics and math can certainly enhance one's understanding of these books, it is not necessary. Many books on the history of physics and math are written for a general audience and do not require extensive knowledge of these subjects.