Books on scattering experiments

In summary, the individual has been self-studying quantum mechanics, specifically looking at scattering theory in books by Shankar, Sakurai, and John R. Taylor. They are seeking recommendations for sources that relate the theory to actual experiments and their interpretations, preferably at a similar level to the aforementioned books. They mention considering the Schieck’s Key Nuclear Reaction Experiments book, but are open to other suggestions, particularly ebooks. They also mention that B. Povh et al.'s Particles and Nuclei includes chapters that connect theory to scattering experiments.
crossword.bob
I’ve been self-studying quantum mechanics for a while, and currently looking at scattering theory, using chapters in books by Shankar, Sakurai, and John R. Taylor’s Scattering Theory text. But was wondering if there are any good sources that relate the theory in these books to actual experiments and their interpretations; ideally at the sort of level commensurate with the aforementioned books.

I have my eye on the Schieck’s Key Nuclear Reaction Experiments book, though as it’s a little pricey, I’d be interested to know what people think of it, or if they have any recommendations elsewhere. Since I do most of my reading “on the go”, works available as ebooks would be preferred, but I’d be interested to hear of anything, really.

Likes VivianDarkbloom
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Books on scattering experiments

1. What is the purpose of a scattering experiment?

A scattering experiment is used to study the interactions between particles or waves as they collide or pass through a medium. It can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of the particles or medium being studied.

2. What types of particles are typically used in scattering experiments?

Scattering experiments can use a variety of particles, including electrons, protons, neutrons, photons, and even larger particles like atoms or molecules. The choice of particle depends on the specific research question being investigated.

3. How does the setup of a scattering experiment affect the results?

The setup of a scattering experiment, such as the angle and energy of the incident particles, can greatly impact the resulting data. It is important for scientists to carefully design and control the experimental setup to ensure accurate and meaningful results.

4. What are some common techniques used in scattering experiments?

Some common techniques used in scattering experiments include X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, and electron scattering. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for studying different types of particles and materials.

5. What are some real-world applications of scattering experiments?

Scattering experiments have a wide range of applications, from studying the structure of materials and biomolecules to understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biophysics to further our understanding of the physical world.