Bivariate density on a unit circle

In summary, the bounds for the x's and y's need to be set so that the integration equation gives a value of 1 when the region is tested.
gajohnson

Homework Statement

Consider the bivariate density of X and Y,
f(x, y) = pi/2 for x^2 + y^2 ≤1 and y > x
and = 0 otherwise.
(a) Verify that this is a bivariate density (that is, the total volume ∫∫ f(x,y)dxdy = 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is setting the proper bounds of integration. It seem to me that this is describing a region on the unit circle that ranges from (√2/2 , √2/2) to (-√2/2 , -√2/2).

So in that case I'm tempted to make the bounds √2/2 and -1 for the x's and 1 and -√2/2 for the y's. But that doesn't seem to be giving me an answer of 1 when I integrate to find test whether or not it is a bivariate density. If the bounds are right, then I'll just keep plugging away at the integration until I get it. But, if my thinking is wrong on the bounds, any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out how to set the right ones. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi gajohnson! :smile:

(do yo mean f(x, y) = 2/π ? :confused:)
gajohnson said:
The problem I'm having is setting the proper bounds of integration … I'm tempted to make the bounds √2/2 and -1 for the x's and 1 and -√2/2 for the y's.

that (ie fixed limits for both variables) would give you a rectangle

you need fixed limits for the first variable (its least and greatest possible values), and limits that are a function of the first variable for the second variable :wink:

It will be much easier if you rotate coordinates 45 degrees.

Start by drawing a picture. [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 1[/itex] is, of course, the unit disk. y= x is the line through the origin bisecting that disk and y> x is the region above that line. The circle and line boundaries intersect, as you say, at [itex]\left(\sqrt{2}/2, \sqrt{2}/2\right)[/itex] and [itex]\left(-\sqrt{2}/2, -\sqrt{2}/2\right)[/itex]. Clearly the smallest value x takes on is [itex]-\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and the largest is [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]. Now, for each x, y goes from the line [itex]y= x[/itex] to the upper semi-circle [itex]y= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].

gajohnson said:

Homework Statement

Consider the bivariate density of X and Y,
f(x, y) = pi/2 for x^2 + y^2 ≤1 and y > x
and = 0 otherwise.
(a) Verify that this is a bivariate density (that is, the total volume ∫∫ f(x,y)dxdy = 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is setting the proper bounds of integration. It seem to me that this is describing a region on the unit circle that ranges from (√2/2 , √2/2) to (-√2/2 , -√2/2).

So in that case I'm tempted to make the bounds √2/2 and -1 for the x's and 1 and -√2/2 for the y's. But that doesn't seem to be giving me an answer of 1 when I integrate to find test whether or not it is a bivariate density. If the bounds are right, then I'll just keep plugging away at the integration until I get it. But, if my thinking is wrong on the bounds, any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out how to set the right ones. Thanks!

Since the probability density is constant over the relevant (x,y) region, and that region is a semi-circle, all you need to do is figure out the area of a semi-circle.

I was visualizing it properly but not connecting the obvious dots, thanks everyone!

Related to Bivariate density on a unit circle

1. What is bivariate density on a unit circle?

Bivariate density on a unit circle refers to the probability distribution of two variables that are constrained to a unit circle. It is commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model relationships between two circular variables, such as angles or directions.

2. How is bivariate density on a unit circle different from other probability distributions?

The main difference is that bivariate density on a unit circle takes into account the circular nature of the variables, rather than assuming a linear relationship. This is important when analyzing data that involves circular measurements, such as time of day or compass directions.

3. How is bivariate density on a unit circle calculated?

Bivariate density on a unit circle is typically calculated using a mathematical formula, such as the von Mises distribution or the wrapped Cauchy distribution. These formulas take into account the circular nature of the variables and provide a probability density function for the data.

4. What is the significance of bivariate density on a unit circle in research?

Bivariate density on a unit circle is important in research because it allows for the analysis of circular data in a statistically rigorous way. This can be useful in a variety of fields, such as biology, psychology, and geography, where circular measurements are common.

5. How can bivariate density on a unit circle be interpreted?

Bivariate density on a unit circle can be interpreted in a similar way to other probability distributions. The height of the curve at a particular point represents the probability of observing data at that point. It can also be used to calculate summary statistics, such as the mean and variance of the data.