Bismuth vs aluminum diamagnetism

In summary, the difference in behavior between aluminum and bismuth when interacting with a magnet is due to their different magnetic properties.
carmatic
a few weeks ago i bought a number of pieces of 'bismuth' bullions... i already own a piece of aluminum , as well as a few neodymium magnets

if i place the magnet on the aluminum and tilt the aluminum to make the magnet slide off, it will encounter some opposing force from eddy currents and slide slowly...
but if i try to do the same with my new 'bismuth' pieces, it slides as if there is no magnetic interaction... is this to be expected?

::edit:: mods if this isn't posted in the right forum could it please be moved thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!!Yes, this is to be expected. Bismuth is a diamagnetic material, meaning that it has a weak repulsive force in the presence of a magnetic field. Because aluminum is a paramagnetic material, meaning it has a weak attractive force when in the presence of a magnetic field, it will generate eddy currents which oppose the motion of the magnet. Bismuth, on the other hand, does not have these eddy currents and therefore does not experience any sort of opposing force from the magnet.

Related to Bismuth vs aluminum diamagnetism

1. What is the difference between bismuth and aluminum in terms of diamagnetism?

Bismuth and aluminum are both diamagnetic materials, meaning they have a weak repulsion to magnetic fields. However, bismuth is a stronger diamagnet than aluminum, meaning it has a stronger resistance to magnetic fields.

2. How do bismuth and aluminum exhibit diamagnetism?

Bismuth and aluminum both have completely filled outer electron shells, which causes them to have a weak repulsion to magnetic fields. This is because the electrons in their outer shells are not easily influenced by external magnetic fields.

3. Which material is more commonly used in applications involving diamagnetism?

Bismuth is more commonly used in applications involving diamagnetism due to its stronger diamagnetic properties. It is often used in experiments and demonstrations involving levitation, as its strong diamagnetism can counteract the effects of gravity.

4. Can bismuth and aluminum be used together in applications involving diamagnetism?

Yes, bismuth and aluminum can be used together in applications involving diamagnetism. In fact, combining the two materials can enhance their diamagnetic properties and create even stronger repulsion to magnetic fields.

5. Are there any other materials that exhibit diamagnetism?

Yes, there are several other materials that exhibit diamagnetism, including gold, silver, copper, and zinc. However, these materials typically have weaker diamagnetic properties compared to bismuth and aluminum.