Levitate a magnet in aluminum tube with electro-magnet assist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an aluminum tube and a neodymium magnet to demonstrate Lenz's law. By dropping the magnet into the tube, the paramagnetism of aluminum induces eddy currents that create opposing magnetic fields, slowing the magnet's descent. The conversation then raises questions about the addition of an electromagnet coil and the use of other materials, such as paramagnetic aluminum slug, to possibly stop or reverse the magnet's movement. It is suggested to conduct experiments to discover the answers rather than seeking them from someone else.
NukerDoggie
I have an aluminum tube with 1.25" ID and 2.25" OD. I drop a neodymium grade N50 magnet, 1" dia, 2" long into the tube and enjoy watching the magnet drift very slowly down the tube. Lenz's law in demonstration.

The paramagnetism of aluminum allows the magnet-in-motion to induce eddy currents in the aluminum tube, which in turn produces magnetic fields in opposition to that of the magnet, thus slowing the magnet's descent.

What if I added an electromagnet coil around the exterior of the aluminum tube, and I pulsed that coil with DC current, in one direction or else in the opposite direction?

What if I did not pulse the current in the coil, but rather held it steady at some value?

With the right combination of parameters, could I stop the descent of the magnet inside the aluminum tube altogether? Could I possibly cause the magnet to reverse direction and slowly rise?

What would happen if I used a paramagnetic material (like an aluminum slug) rather than a neodymium magnet? Again, with the right parameters, could a levitate the slug within the aluminum tube?

Would I perhaps need to use two separate side-by-side coils on the exterior of the aluminum tube, separated by a few centimeters, and could I then levitate something inside the tube in the space between the two coils?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

lots of good questions
and since you have the magnet and the aluminium tube, how about trying what you have asked and see what happens, then report back here with the results :smile:

That would be a much better path to discovery --- rather than some one just giving you a bunch of answers :wink:

cheers
Dave

Related to Levitate a magnet in aluminum tube with electro-magnet assist?

1. How does levitating a magnet in an aluminum tube with electro-magnet assist work?

Levitating a magnet in an aluminum tube with electro-magnet assist works by using the concept of electromagnetic induction. When an electric current is passed through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet, causing it to levitate inside the aluminum tube.

2. What materials are needed to levitate a magnet in an aluminum tube?

To levitate a magnet in an aluminum tube, you will need an aluminum tube, a strong electro-magnet, a power source, and a magnet. The aluminum tube should be non-magnetic and have a smooth, polished surface. The electro-magnet should be strong enough to create a magnetic field that can counteract the pull of gravity on the magnet.

3. Can any type of magnet be used for this experiment?

No, not all types of magnets can be used for this experiment. The magnet used should be a strong neodymium magnet, also known as rare earth magnets. These magnets have a strong magnetic field and are small in size, making them ideal for this experiment.

4. Is it safe to experiment with electricity and magnets?

While this experiment is generally considered safe, it is important to take necessary precautions when working with electricity and magnets. Make sure to follow proper safety guidelines and use protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses.

5. What are the practical applications of levitating a magnet in an aluminum tube with electro-magnet assist?

This experiment is a great way to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and magnetic fields. It also has practical applications in industries such as transportation, where magnetic levitation is used in high-speed trains. Additionally, it can be used in the development of new technologies such as magnetic bearings and magnetic levitation devices.