Bringing Back the Woolly Mammoth - A $10 Million Dollar Endeavor

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, a company has been formed with $10 million dollars of funding to bring back the Woolly Mammoth, which has been extinct for perhaps 5-10 thousand years. The original idea was to clone the mammoth by inserting its intact DNA into an anucleated elephant egg and implanting it into a female Indian elephant. However, the new approach is to modify the genes of Indian elephants to make them more mammoth-like over the course of several generations. This project is being led by George Church of Harvard Medical School and involves raising the elephants in artificial wombs created using stem cell technology. While there are potential benefits such as turning tundra into more productive grasslands, there are also concerns about introducing new animals into an ecosystem
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A company has been formed with $10 million dollars of funding to bring back the Woolly Mammoth, which has been extinct for perhaps 5-10 thousand years.
Here is Carl Zimmer's NY Times article on it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 11.17.02 AM.png

The original idea I heard of was get an intact nucleus with intact DNA from a very well frozen mammoth and slip it into an anucleated elephant egg (no elephant DNA left except in mitochondria), and stick it into a female Indian elephant that is ready for it to be implanted. The baby born, should then be a clone of the frozen mammoth.

Frozen DNA containing mammoth remains are fairly plentiful, so DNA sequence can be compared with their closest existing ancestor (the Indian elephant). However it is not in such good shape it could be used as is. Too broken up into pieces.
This idea has been around for a long time (longer than Jurassic Park, I think).

The new idea is to put new genes into an Indian elephant genome to replace some of the genes )about 60) that have been determined are making a major difference between mammoths and elephants.
The is largely a project of George Church, a well known biologist at Harvard Medical School.
Repeating this would produce elephants that are gradually more mammoth-like over the project's generations. It is a slower but more feasible approach.

Because the reproductive biology of elephants is not worked out (no one has harvested elephant eggs or done in vitro fertilization in elephants for example) and it would take a huge elephant herd to supply enough surrogate elephant mothers for the project, they would like to raise the elephants in artificial elephant wombs created using stem cell technology.
A fetal lamb has been raised in vitro for 4 weeks (not to term), however bringing an elephant to term would require two years. The fetus would be ~200 pounds (90.7 kg). That would be quite an accomplishment.
Set backs should be expected.
In an undergraduate embryology class I once put several fertilized chick eggs into plastic bags and kept them in an incubator for about 2 weeks. The ones that did not get contaminated developed until about 16 days. When they died (of unnatural causes). I should taken their egg shells, ground them up sterilized them and added them to the egg containing bag. This is an important source of Calcium for the developing embryos which they were lacking in my experiment.

Justification for doing this:
  • Hey, its cool. I could finally get my mammoth ride!
  • Mammoths are hoped to turn the moss covered tundra into grasslands with scattered trees (more productive than now). There is a decent ecological argument for this.
  • Develop news reproductive technologies, for the good of all humanity (and mammoths too). this is how the company (Colosal) hopes to make money.
Possible Downers:
  • There are probably better things to spend money on.
  • Is it right to introduce animals new to an ecology and change it?
  • How will the babies be raised without parents (no surrogates remember)? Elephants have strong, long term family relationships that are important to their growing up.
  • Will this technology be developed to raise humans like to Brave New World or The Matrix?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
Biology news on Phys.org
And if successful, what about predators and population control? Humans mucked up the ecosystem in the ice age by eliminating most all the large predators, then hunting the large mammals to extinction. You see the issue today with deer overpopulation - as there are no predators to take up the slack as humans arent killing enough of them.

Maybe they should instead work on bringing back something that will eat feral hogs ;)

Likes BillTre
BWV said:
Maybe they should instead work on bringing back something that will eat feral hogs ;)

I think the introduced pythons in the Everglades are probably already doing that. :oldsurprised:
Burmese pythons are non-venomous constrictors. They prey on native Florida species of mammals, birds and reptiles, as well as nonnative species including black rats. They have eaten Key Largo woodrats, a federally endangered species. The Burmese python may reach a length of 26 feet and a weight of more than 200 pounds.

BillTre said:
I think the introduced pythons in the Everglades are probably already doing that. :oldsurprised:
Still not big enough to eat the hogs though

Maybe not the big ones, but smaller ones. They have eaten deer.

BillTre said:
Maybe not the big ones, but smaller ones. They have eaten deer.
Think we need jaguars back in TX

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
How will the babies be raised without parents (no surrogates remember)? Elephants have strong, long term family relationships that are important to their growing up.
I think this can be done only by the slow modification of an elephant herd of a sufficient size. You need not only clones anyway, but sufficient variety of genes too: a population. Enough samples of different mammoth remains, and a big elephant herd too, so both side of the equation can be diverse.

Project of some hundred years, I guess. What means it's practically hopeless.

Likes BillTre
I like your diversity comments (size in numbers would be good), but
Rive said:
Project of some hundred years, I guess. What means it's practically hopeless.
I think that modern techniques could conceivably speed things up.

Until all 60 of the genes they have identified are put in, they will probably want to keep adding more once one bunch is successfully done. This could be scored molecularly.

Based on criteria of what genetic transformations have been successfully passed on to which individuals and on individual physical traits and robustness, the next generation of modifications (next generation of reproduction) could be made, as soon as the appropriate traits could be scored. It could even be done before the traits are present as long as the individual animal is kept alive to be scored after which decisions could be made about what to do with the offspring.

Likes Rive
BillTre said:
I think that modern techniques could conceivably speed things up.
Maybe. But I don't know, that:
- what amount of new genes would be still acceptable by the herd for a new generation
- how fast can you migrate the herd to the north
- how fast can they pick up new habits (change of food source, and maybe: seasonal migration)

I would say (on the safe side) it's a few hundred years project (and some setbacks on the way).

Otherwise it's just some woolly elephants deported to camps in syberia o0)

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
  • There are probably better things to spend money on.
But it's a private venture. They are spending money to make money. At the cost they are quoting (15M), Disney could afford to bring back Mammoths just to play a small part in a movie.

If they manage to clone a Mammoth, I think they'll make vastly more than they spent; probably not as much as a blockbuster film makes, but still a lot. They'll probably make back the 15 million right off the bat with a super bowl commercial for hair spray or something.

For context, the US spent about 300 million dollars per day for a few decades in Afghanistan. The Mammoth project is set to cost about the same as 1 hour of one war/occupation.

Anyway, since people are likely to drive nearly all large wildlife on this planet to the brink of extinction pretty soon, we probably need some practice bringing things back and rebuilding ecosystems.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BillTre and Rive

What is the goal of bringing back the woolly mammoth?

The goal of bringing back the woolly mammoth is to use advanced genetic engineering techniques to recreate a living, breathing woolly mammoth that closely resembles its extinct ancestors. This would be a major scientific achievement and could potentially provide valuable insights into the biology and behavior of these ancient creatures.

How will scientists bring back the woolly mammoth?

Scientists plan to use a technique called de-extinction, which involves extracting DNA from well-preserved woolly mammoth remains and inserting it into the genome of a closely related species, such as an Asian elephant. This modified elephant embryo would then be carried to term by a surrogate mother.

What are the potential benefits of bringing back the woolly mammoth?

Bringing back the woolly mammoth could have several potential benefits, including advancing our understanding of genetics and evolution, providing insights into the effects of climate change on species, and potentially even helping to restore degraded ecosystems by reintroducing a species that has been extinct for thousands of years.

What are the potential risks of bringing back the woolly mammoth?

There are several potential risks associated with bringing back the woolly mammoth, including ethical concerns about playing god and manipulating nature, potential negative impacts on existing ecosystems, and the possibility of unforeseen consequences or unintended outcomes from the genetic modification process.

How would bringing back the woolly mammoth be funded?

The estimated cost for bringing back the woolly mammoth is $10 million, which would likely be funded through a combination of private and public sources. This could include grants from government agencies, donations from individuals or organizations interested in the project, and potentially even corporate sponsorships.