Bioinformatics and Computational Biology? What is it really like?

In summary, a high school student is interested in pursuing a career that combines math and biology and is seeking information about computational biology and bioinformatics programs. They are interested in personal experiences, job prospects, and daily tasks. The field is relatively new and there may be better opportunities with a double major or in related fields such as finance. Additionally, the student is considering majoring in applied math and is open to exploring other interests. They are advised to consider their own passions and take advice with a grain of salt.
bublik13
Hello, I am a high-school student applying to universities. I like math, and I like bio. I want a career that is the cross-section between these two subjects.

I've been told about computational biology and bioinformatics. Can anyone please share any familiar experiences or any insight related to these programs?
I want to know about these programs from a more personal and realistic point of view, ex. how satisfied people are with studying computational biology/ bioinformatics, the job prospects (I don't care about salary as long as there are interesting jobs available), what day-to-day tasks are like, etc.

Any help, information, personal experiences, recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You know when I was applying for graduate schools computational biology and bioinformatics programs within universities had maybe only been on the scene for a few years, but I hear now that some places offer undergraduate programs in bioinformatics which sadly I've also heard you are better off double majoring.

So I guess it really depends on how far you were willing to go in your education.

daveyinaz said:
You know when I was applying for graduate schools computational biology and bioinformatics programs within universities had maybe only been on the scene for a few years, but I hear now that some places offer undergraduate programs in bioinformatics which sadly I've also heard you are better off double majoring.

So I guess it really depends on how far you were willing to go in your education.

I guess it is safe to say it is an emerging field. However, the more I think about all the insecurities in the science-related fields, the more I want to major in applied math. Bioinformatics interests me because it is the application of mathematics into biology, something that seems fascinating to me.

as i know, there are 3 main thrusts of research in bioinformatics. 1 is genetic analysis and pattern recognition looking for genes. this is basically pure computer science and math and has nothing to do with biology except the letters ATCG are "DNA bases". 2 is biopolymer modeling, which is chemistry and physics, and also has nothing to do with biology. 3 is the dynamic modeling of ecosystems. for example, consider a wolf deer grass system. deer eats grass, but if it eats too fast, grass dies out and deer starves to death. wolf eats deer, but if deer get too few, wolves die out. if wolves get too few, deer multiply, eat grass, starve. let's say you start with X wolves, N deer and A square km of grass; what will it look like in 20 years? you can see this gets complicated even for a 3 organism system with no changing weather. this actually involves biology and math.

however, companies do not really hire bioinformatics people as far as i know for this sort of stuff. the employable genetics and biochemistry research directions have you in direct competition with people who did chemistry/physics or straight statistics, CS or math, and even these positions usually require PHDs and are highly competitive.

from what i can tell you, your chances of finding employment in finance with a bioinformatics degree are probably bigger than your chances of finding an actual bioinformatics job, but higher does not mean high.

bublik13 said:
I guess it is safe to say it is an emerging field. However, the more I think about all the insecurities in the science-related fields, the more I want to major in applied math. Bioinformatics interests me because it is the application of mathematics into biology, something that seems fascinating to me.

I'm confused by what you mean insecurities in science-related fields, perhaps you would want to elaborate more on that before I comment on it.

...but what you should also take into account is that since you are applying to universities, there is a chance there that your interests might peak more towards chemistry or physics in a few years after having some exposure to many different things. Heck it might even only further your love for math and it's applications to biology so you should take what us posters have to say with a grain of salt about the field and do what you think feels right to you.

Related to Bioinformatics and Computational Biology? What is it really like?

1. What is bioinformatics and computational biology?

Bioinformatics and computational biology is an interdisciplinary field that combines biology, computer science, mathematics, and statistics to analyze and interpret biological data. It involves the use of computational tools and algorithms to study and solve biological problems, such as understanding genetic sequences, predicting protein structures, and analyzing large datasets.

2. What are the applications of bioinformatics and computational biology?

Bioinformatics and computational biology have a wide range of applications in fields such as genetics, medicine, agriculture, environmental science, and biotechnology. Some examples of specific applications include drug discovery, disease diagnosis and treatment, crop improvement, and evolutionary studies.

3. What skills are needed to work in bioinformatics and computational biology?

To work in bioinformatics and computational biology, one needs a strong background in biology, computer science, and mathematics. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and Perl is also important, as well as familiarity with databases and data analysis tools. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential in this field.

4. What is a typical day like for a bioinformatics and computational biology scientist?

A typical day for a bioinformatics and computational biology scientist involves a combination of tasks such as analyzing and interpreting biological data, developing and testing algorithms, writing code, and collaborating with other scientists. They may also attend meetings, conferences, and seminars to stay updated on the latest advancements in the field.

5. What are the future prospects for bioinformatics and computational biology?

The future prospects for bioinformatics and computational biology are very promising, as the demand for skilled professionals in this field is increasing. With the continuous advancements in technology and the growth of big data in biology, there will be a greater need for experts who can analyze and interpret this data to make scientific discoveries and advancements. This field also offers opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations and has the potential to make significant contributions to various areas of biology and medicine.