Biochemistry, how much knowledge of Math is needed?

In summary, the question asked was about how much mathematics is needed to understand the concepts in chemistry courses for a biochemistry/biotechnology degree. It was suggested that single-variable differential and integral calculus would be necessary for physical chemistry courses, and may be helpful for other chemistry courses. It was also mentioned that self-study is possible, but having a professor or teaching assistant to discuss the material with can be beneficial. The conversation also touched on the differences between biochemistry and biotechnology degrees, and the possibility of advanced mathematics being useful in the field. Overall, it was recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and possibly linear algebra and differential equations for success in chemistry courses.
BioCore
Hi everyone,

I will be pursuing a degree in biochemistry/biotechnology, and my question was exactly what or how much of mathematics would be important to understand fully most of the concepts coming from the chemistry courses that I will take? Most of my chem courses in upper years would biochemistry I, bioenergetics, organic synthesis I and II, and then some analytical chem courses if I choose to.

Was wondering how much intensive math should I know to be able to understand the concepts fully or would basic trigonometry and even calculus be enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely it will depend on the curse and lecturer, so there is no one, simple answer to that question. OTOH I haven't seen someone who knows too much math :smile:

If you are being required to take physical chemistry as part of your curriculum, then you will definitely need - at the very least - single-variable differential and integral calculus. If you are not being required to take physical chemistry, I would do so anyway and take the prerequisite mathematics coursework. It's an incredibly important and useful subject, and to call oneself a chemist of any sort, one should have a proper fundamental grounding in p.chem.

Well no I am not required to take it but I have been having ideas of trying it out. Specifically because I tend to enjoy doing thermodynamics questions a lot for some odd reason.

So in order to do well in the course I should have an understanding of single-variable differential and integral calculus. (Mike) Would you recommend that I actually take such mathematics courses or would it be better off to just study them on my own - because at my school those specific upper year math courses are not required but are recommended for better understanding.

I forgot to ask this as well, but I was wondering if studying advanced Physics concepts, beyond Newtonian mechanics that is would be beneficial for someone in this field? Would they gain a lot more understanding or are the courses from the Chem department primarily built upon Physical concepts?

Also if it would be beneficial, would it be possible to do this still without taking any courses, but rather studying the topics myself?

I find it a little unusual that a biochemistry degree does not require a course in physical chemistry, but that may be an indication of my own observations and biases filtering through there. Single-variable calculus is typically a lower-division (non-majors) university course in mathematics from what I've seen, but again, may just be an indication of my own background there. (I was born and educated in the U.S., so these observations generally square with those of my classmates in grad school who came from all over the country.)

It ultimately all depends on what you plan on doing in the future. You can have research that is quite technical/quantitative or research that is in the middle or research that is very qualitative. I would, in general, try to take the courses in order to have someone to talk to when confronting the material. Self-study can and does do wonders, but it really does help to have a helpful teaching assistant and/or professor to discuss things with, from the abstract to the detailed, especially when laying the foundation.

Mike, it isn't exactly a Biochemistry degree, it is a Biotechnology degree although the courses are very similar to a Biochemistry degree with one or two exceptions such as the Physical Chemistry course there.

Which is also the reason I was thinking of taking the course seeing as it is quite important and I find it interesting.

Biochem courses generally try and keep the math quite light. Part of the reason why chemists often take a different quantum then physicists is because the chem version has a lot less math.

BioCore - Ahh, OK then. Most biochem degree programs that I was familiar with basically tended to copy the core courses of the chemistry degree (single variable calc, introductory university-level physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry) and worked from there with the necessary biochemistry, biology, and so on. Biotechnology is another beast, though, not least because it can mean different things to different people. :) Everything from applications of molecular genetics to process-scale biochemistry to nearly anything you can imagine.

If you find it interesting, you should definitely take the course, particularly if the teacher is a good one. I doubt you will ever look back and say that it was a bad choice of yours.

We, chemists, tend to be mathematically challenged. That's sad true.

I think it would do a world of good for the whole field if biologists and chemists learned advanced math.

On the other hand, it may not do *you* any good to learn advanced math, as a student trying to pass classes that don't use it.

Of course "advanced math" is always relative in it's usage. I often see stochastic differential equations when I try to read biochemisty papers. This is certainly just a function of my own background and interests though. Most biochemists aren't interested in such things.

Also, are stochastic differential equations advanced mathematics? I think so. Rarely are there undergraduate courses that cover them. At the same time, I'm sure many mathematicians would consider everything that biochemists use to be elementary.

Biochem and organic chemistry won't really be using math, except maybe basic calculus to describe reaction rates. You would need math more for the purer chemistry courses you might have to take. You should probably know single and multivariable calculus. A term of linear algebra and differential equations would be good too, when you come into contact with quantum chemistry. Thats about it.

I'd say SDE's (Stochastic DE's) are advanced math. They're also a sort of 'niche' math since it only really comes up certain places (financial math for example uses them extensively) but I wouldn't think even a standard grad student in math would necessarily cross paths with them.

does your degree make u take multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and DE? If not, then biochem will require little math. know logarithims for hendersen hasselbalch eqtn. know basic artihmetic for michaelsen-menten kinetics. other than that...i don't think anything else is needed. main point:math is the least of your worries!

all i have to see now is to ask question about medical biochemistry,please i want to know how different is it from biochemistry itself.

being in pharmacy, i sort of have a biochem program going for me.

what is essential is basically first year calc. what is reccommended is all of 2nd year math. that includes multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and if you want differential equations. but multivariable should suffice.

if you want to understand what enthalpy and other state functions really mean you'll need multivariable. not to mention you will be able to pick up quanum mechanics books in the summer and get through them. in conclusion, single and multivariable should be all the math you ever need.

Borek said:
We, chemists, tend to be mathematically challenged. That's sad true.
my pchem teacher was an insane mathematician. he did his undergrad in mit in pure math.

Related to Biochemistry, how much knowledge of Math is needed?

How Important is Math in Biochemistry?

Mathematics plays a significant role in biochemistry, as it helps researchers and professionals understand and analyze complex biological processes and data. While not as math-intensive as some other scientific fields like physics or engineering, biochemistry still requires a solid foundation in math for various purposes.

What Specific Mathematical Concepts are Relevant in Biochemistry?

Several mathematical concepts are relevant in biochemistry, including:

• Algebra: Algebraic concepts are used for solving equations, balancing chemical reactions, and manipulating formulas in biochemical calculations.
  • Statistics: Statistics is crucial for data analysis, experimental design, and interpreting research results. It helps biochemists draw meaningful conclusions from experiments.
  • Calculus: Basic calculus principles, such as derivatives and integrals, are used in understanding rate equations, enzyme kinetics, and thermodynamics in biochemistry.
  • Geometry: Geometric concepts may be applied in structural biology to analyze the shapes and arrangements of biological molecules.

Do Biochemistry Students Need Advanced Math Skills?

While some areas of biochemistry, such as biochemical kinetics and thermodynamics, involve more advanced mathematical concepts, most biochemistry programs do not require exceptionally advanced math skills. A solid understanding of fundamental mathematical principles, including algebra and statistics, is typically sufficient for undergraduate biochemistry coursework.

How Can Math Be Applied in Biochemistry Research?

Mathematics is applied in various aspects of biochemistry research:

• Quantitative Analysis: Math is used to quantitatively analyze experimental data, such as enzyme kinetics, protein concentrations, and metabolic pathways.
  • Modeling: Mathematical models are used to simulate biological processes and predict outcomes, helping researchers understand complex systems.
  • Statistical Analysis: Statistical tests and methods are employed to assess the significance of experimental results and make data-driven conclusions.
  • Structural Biology: Geometry and spatial analysis are used in structural biology to study the three-dimensional structures of biomolecules.

Can I Study Biochemistry if I'm Not Strong in Math?

While math is an integral part of biochemistry, you can pursue a degree in biochemistry even if you're not exceptionally strong in math. Many biochemistry programs offer support and introductory courses to help students build their math skills. Additionally, collaboration with colleagues who have strong math backgrounds can be beneficial in research settings.

What Resources are Available to Improve Math Skills for Biochemistry?

If you want to improve your math skills for biochemistry, consider the following resources:

• Math Tutoring: Many universities offer math tutoring services to help students with coursework.
  • Online Courses: There are numerous online courses and tutorials that focus on math concepts relevant to biochemistry.
  • Textbooks: Textbooks specific to biochemistry or quantitative biology often provide guidance on mathematical concepts used in the field.
  • Study Groups: Forming or joining study groups with peers can provide collaborative learning opportunities.

Is Math Used Equally in All Areas of Biochemistry?

No, math usage in biochemistry may vary depending on the specific area of research or specialization. Some subfields may require more mathematical proficiency than others. For example, computational biochemistry and structural biology often involve more advanced math and modeling compared to biochemical laboratory work. The level of math needed can differ based on the focus of your biochemistry studies.