Biocentrism - To me this lacks some logic

• Thread starter victorhugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the speaker is interested in the book they have been reading and has come across some thought-provoking ideas. However, they have some doubts about the concept that everything in the universe was perfectly designed for human existence. They compare this idea to a rock landing in a specific spot after an explosion, and argue that it is only bound by external factors. They also question whether life could have evolved differently on another planet with different conditions. They suggest that the author may be approaching the topic backwards, from the complex beings to the fundamental rules of the universe. However, this discussion is not allowed on the platform due to it being considered overly speculative.
victorhugo
I'm very interested as far as I've gone into the book (just over 100 pages) and there is a lot of stuff that I've pondered about myself.
However, quite a few things don't make sense to me. The main one I'd like to ask your opinions on is at 9:15 until about 12:00 (he talks about it here: )

Basically that everything was exactly made just for us to exist. I think this is flawed. It's like seeing a rock land in a particular spot after an explosion and conclude that everything in that explosion was perfectly set out, such as the arrangements of the larger rock it was a part of, density, and even external factors like gravity and air friction, such that the rock landed at the exact spot. But, the rock only landed at that spot BECAUSE it was bound to these factors. Same with life, this way that life evolved on planet Earth (and the universal ways that the universe behaves), is a product of everything else that went on around life. if it was a very different planet orbiting a different star, then different sensory organs and ways of the organism being shaped would've been favoured as it is simply what thrives and survives in that environment.

Anyway, I think the problem is that he's not going from the fundamentals which built up the complex we are, he is going from the complex we are to the fundamentals.
We don't know whether the only way for 'life' to exist is the way it does on Earth. We don't know if patterns similar to DNA that arrives at conscious beings is only possible by "the rules our universe plays by".

Anybody else care to share their point of view?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, this is against our rules for being "overly speculative", and is closed.

1. What is biocentrism?

Biocentrism is a philosophical and ethical perspective that places the value and importance of living organisms at the center of consideration. It recognizes the interconnectedness and interdependence of all living things and advocates for the protection and preservation of all life forms.

2. How does biocentrism differ from other ethical frameworks?

Unlike other ethical frameworks that prioritize human interests and needs, biocentrism prioritizes the well-being and rights of all living beings. It also rejects the idea of humans being superior or separate from nature, instead emphasizing the interconnectedness of all life forms.

3. Is biocentrism a scientific theory or a philosophical concept?

Biocentrism is primarily a philosophical concept, but it also has scientific foundations. It draws upon scientific principles such as evolution, ecology, and systems theory to support its ideas.

4. How does biocentrism address human actions and their impact on the environment?

Biocentrism acknowledges that human actions have a significant impact on the environment and all living organisms. It advocates for responsible and sustainable behaviors that prioritize the well-being of all life forms, rather than solely focusing on human benefits.

5. Can biocentrism be applied in practical situations?

Yes, biocentrism can be applied in practical situations such as environmental conservation efforts, animal welfare policies, and ethical decision-making in areas such as medicine and agriculture. It provides a framework for considering the impact on all living beings and promoting ethical and sustainable practices.