Binomial Theorem(Approximation)

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the binomial theorem and indexes other than positive integers. The goal is to show that a given equation is true when p is nearly equal to q and n>1. The conversation suggests using the fact that p is nearly equal to q and approximating the equation using the expression 1+nx\approx(1+x)^{n}, as well as manipulating the terms to get a more simplified expression. One possible approach is to let q = p(1 + k) where k << 1.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

If p is nearly equal to q and n>1, show that [tex]\frac{(n+1)p+(n-1)q}{(n-1)p+(n+1)q}=(\frac{p}{q})^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]
Note: the index 1/n is on the whole fraction (p/q)

I think it might be helpful if I specify th chapter from which I got this question. Its the binomial thorem for indexes other than the one which are postive integral.

Homework Equations

I wonder if this needs to be used:
[tex]1+nx\approx(1+x)^{n}[/tex]

when |x|<<1

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving L.H.S.
[tex]\frac{np+p+nq-q}{np-p+nq+q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n(p+q)+p-q}{n(p+q)-p+q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n(p+q)-p+q+2p-2q}{n(p+q)-p+q}[/tex]

[tex]1+\frac{2(p-q)}{n(p+q)-(p-q)}[/tex]

as p tends to q, p-q should be a very small number (which might help me in the approximation)
Can the fraction aded to x be converted to the format mentioned in the relevant equations?
Or is there any other way out??

Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to think about the question which I thought makes things simpler:
[tex]\frac{n(p+q)+p-q}{n(p+q)-p+q}[/tex]

can be written as:

[tex]\frac{n(p+q)+(p-q)}{n(p+q)-(p-q)}[/tex]

this generated another format:
[tex]\frac{A+B}{A-B}[/tex]

Multiplying numerator and denominator by A+B

and neglecting the square terms of (p-q), I get

[tex]1+\frac{2(p-q)}{n(p+q)}[/tex]

Can [tex]\frac{2(p-q)}{(p+q)}[/tex] be proved approximately equal to (p/q)?

ritwik06 said:
If p is nearly equal to q and n>1, show that [tex]\frac{(n+1)p+(n-1)q}{(n-1)p+(n+1)q}\ =\ \left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

I haven't worked this out, so I don't know that it works, but I would think that the clue " p is nearly equal to q" means that you should start by saying

"Let q = p(1 + k) where k << 1"

Does that help? :smile:

Related to Binomial Theorem(Approximation)

1. What is the binomial theorem and why is it important?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that helps to expand expressions of the form (a + b)^n, where a and b are constants and n is a positive integer. It is important because it allows us to easily calculate the coefficients of a binomial expansion without having to manually write out all the terms. This makes solving complex mathematical problems much more efficient.

2. How is the binomial theorem used in real-world applications?

The binomial theorem is used in various fields such as physics, statistics, and economics. In physics, it is used to model the trajectory of projectiles and in statistics, it is used to calculate probabilities in binomial distributions. In economics, it is used to calculate compound interest and depreciation.

3. What are the limitations of using the binomial theorem for approximation?

The binomial theorem is only accurate for small values of n and when the values of a and b are close to 1. It also assumes that the terms in the expansion are finite and that the values of a and b are not too large or too small. Additionally, it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the accuracy of the approximation.

4. Can the binomial theorem be used for non-integer exponents?

No, the binomial theorem can only be used for positive integer exponents. This is because the formula relies on the use of factorials, which are only defined for positive integers. For non-integer exponents, other mathematical methods such as Taylor series or calculus techniques would need to be used.

5. How is the binomial theorem related to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers that is used to construct binomial coefficients, which are the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion. The binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle are closely related because the coefficients in the expansion can be found by reading the corresponding row in Pascal's triangle.