Bilinear mapping between quotient spaces

In summary, the bilinear mapping g induces the bilinear mapping g': L/L_0 \times M/M_0 \rightarrow K, g'(l+L_0,m+M_0) = g(l,m), for which the left and right kernels are zero.
lineintegral1
Problem: Let [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex] be finite dimensional linear spaces over the field [itex]K[/itex] and let [itex]g: L\times M \rightarrow K[/itex] be a bilinear mapping. Let [itex]L_0[/itex] be the left kernel of [itex]g[/itex] and let [itex]M_0[/itex] be the right kernel of [itex]g[/itex].

a) Prove that [itex]dim L/L_0 = dim M/M_0[/itex].

b) Prove that [itex]g[/itex] induces the bilinear mapping [itex]g': L/L_0 \times M/M_0 \rightarrow K, g'(l+L_0, m+M_0) = g(l,m)[/itex], for which the left and right kernels are zero.

I am trying to prove b) before a) (I think this would make a) relatively trivial). However, I am still getting used to the notion of quotient spaces as sets of equivalence classes. I am unsure as to how to deal with the bilinear mapping of equivalence classes. All that I have seen so far deal with vector spaces. Perhaps someone can give me some insight as to how to show that this mapping is well defined? How can I visualize this better? My professor is of little help, so I appreciate any insights anyone can give me.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must prove that if [itex]l+L_0=l^\prime +L_0[/itex] and [itex]m+M_0=m^\prime+M_0[/itex], then [itex]g^\prime(l+L_0,m+M_0) = g^\prime(l^\prime+L_0,m^\prime+M_0)[/itex]. So you must actually prove [itex]g(l,m)=g(l^\prime,m^\prime)[/itex]...

but...this is obvious because g is linear in l and m, and l-l' is in L0 and m-m' is in M0

(g(l,m) = g(l',m') means g(l,m) - g(l',m') = 0.

but g(l,m) - g(l',m') = g(l,m) - g(l',m) + g(l',m) - g(l',m')

= g(l-l',m) + g(l',m-m') =...?)

And what do you know about l-l' and m-m' ?

we are assuming l + L0 = l' + L0

so l-l' is in 0 + L0 = L0.

the same for m-m', with regard to M0.

we have to have these conditions, for g' to be well-defined as a function

(we are defining g' over cosets, by using g defined on elements.

if we do not have the same image for g(l',m') and g(l,m) when l,l' and m,m'

are in the same cosets of L0 and M0,

g' isn't even a function, much less bilinear).

Wow, okay, so that makes it obvious. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Neat stuff!

Related to Bilinear mapping between quotient spaces

What is a bilinear mapping?

A bilinear mapping is a mathematical function that takes two vector spaces and produces a new vector space by combining the elements of the two input spaces in a linear fashion.

How is a bilinear mapping different from a linear mapping?

A linear mapping takes only one vector space as input, while a bilinear mapping takes two vector spaces as input. Additionally, a bilinear mapping combines the elements of the two input spaces in a linear fashion, while a linear mapping preserves the linearity of the input space.

What is the purpose of a bilinear mapping between quotient spaces?

The purpose of a bilinear mapping between quotient spaces is to define a map between two quotient spaces that preserves the bilinear structure. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the study of vector spaces and linear algebra.

What are some examples of bilinear mappings between quotient spaces?

Some examples of bilinear mappings between quotient spaces include the tensor product of two vector spaces, the exterior product of two vector spaces, and the direct sum of two vector spaces.

What are the properties of a bilinear mapping between quotient spaces?

A bilinear mapping between quotient spaces is linear in each of its inputs, meaning that it is a linear mapping when one vector space is held fixed while the other is varied. It also satisfies the distributive property, meaning that it distributes over addition of vectors in each input space. Additionally, a bilinear mapping is symmetric if the order of the inputs does not matter, and it is alternating if it is zero whenever two inputs are equal.