Biggest differences between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between aerospace and mechanical engineering, with the main differences being the focus on air born objects for aerospace and the broader scope of mechanical engineering. Both majors have similar core classes, but also have coursework specific to their respective fields such as thermodynamics for mechanical engineering and compressible flow for aerospace engineering. The conversation also touches on the possibility of aerospace engineers being considered equivalent to mechanical engineers for research and job opportunities, and the potential job opportunities for both majors.
kdoyle13
I've recently considered going back to college for engineering. What are the biggest differences in aerospace and mechanical engineering other than aerospace being focused on air born objects? I think I've really taken an interest on the side of aerospace engineering.

If you are an aerospace engineer what do you do?
What do you like most about your job?
How did you find the coursework throughout school, easy, difficult, challenging?

Thanks, just trying to get some insight!
Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I was an mechanical engineer in undergrad and now I am getting my phd in aero. To be honest you pretty much said it all in you post. Aerospace engineers focus on air born objects. So the only difference is that mech is just much broader than aero but many of the concepts you learn in your core classes are the same. I always say if you are unsure then do mech because it is so broad you have more options in terms of jobs. It is probably easier for a mechE to get an aero job then it is for an aeroA to get a mech job. Keep in mind that what I am saying is assuming you are interested in the fluids/thermal/aerodynamics side of things. If you are more interested in controls, structures, or space then what I say may no be true.

As far as course work. Each major would take core classes in structures, fluids, dynamics, circuits and math.

A mechE would take a thermodynamics course and an aeroE would likely take a compressible flow course.

MechE would probably take courses about manufacturing processes, vibrations, heat transfer to name a few.

AeroE would take courses about propulsion, aerodynamics, controls...

The senior design courses would also be pretty different, at least in terms of the type of project.

But each major could easily take elective courses that are normally taken by the other major.

Biggest difference between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Arrogance. :wink: At least that's what I see at my school.

thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm kind of on the fence so I might be leaning toward mechE. Not sure yet. I think aerospace comes off as a little more interesting to me, but I think it's because I'm not really aware of what job possibilities are out there.

DrummingAtom.. which side would you consider arrogant at your school? haha

A mechE would take a thermodynamics course and an aeroE would likely take a compressible flow course.

At my school, aerospace students take both, but the thermodynamics course is more watered down than the one presented to ME students. However, I lucked into getting a really good thermodynamics professor who focuses on derivations instead of just computations, so I don't think I'm being shortchanged at all.

OP: I honestly don't think there's a significant difference, except some minor differences in coursework. An aero student will focus more on fluid flow analysis (for instance, my compressible flow class is a two-semester ordeal, with the first focusing on low-speed flows and the other on high-speed flows). An ME student gets more experience in heat transfer. Beyond that, I think the two are essentially identical, but I would love to hear from some of the more experienced folks on whether they would accept an aerospace engineer as functionally equivalent to mechanical engineers for purposes of research or employment.

kdoyle13 said:
DrummingAtom.. which side would you consider arrogant at your school? haha

Aerospace, mainly because our school is well known for aerospace. It's top 10 and very competitive. So when kids make it in the aerospace program they tend to hold their heads higher. But the jokes on them because everyone knows electrical engineering majors work on the coolest stuff. :cool: Hahah, kidding.

Angry Citizen said:
At my school, aerospace students take both, but the thermodynamics course is more watered down than the one presented to ME students. However, I lucked into getting a really good thermodynamics professor who focuses on derivations instead of just computations, so I don't think I'm being shortchanged at all.

OP: I honestly don't think there's a significant difference, except some minor differences in coursework. An aero student will focus more on fluid flow analysis (for instance, my compressible flow class is a two-semester ordeal, with the first focusing on low-speed flows and the other on high-speed flows). An ME student gets more experience in heat transfer. Beyond that, I think the two are essentially identical, but I would love to hear from some of the more experienced folks on whether they would accept an aerospace engineer as functionally equivalent to mechanical engineers for purposes of research or employment.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I would love to hear too! My father is a program manager (25+ years) at Lockheed Martin so I'm in the process of talking to him right now of which area of study would be a smarter idea in his opinion job wise. I'll let you know what he says.

DrummingAtom said:
Aerospace, mainly because our school is well known for aerospace. It's top 10 and very competitive. So when kids make it in the aerospace program they tend to hold their heads higher. But the jokes on them because everyone knows electrical engineering majors work on the coolest stuff. :cool: Hahah, kidding.

Pff, you're just sad 'cause you don't get laid ten times more by being able to say "I'm a rocket scientist. Literally."

Angry Citizen said:
Pff, you're just sad 'cause you don't get laid ten times more by being able to say "I'm a rocket scientist. Literally."

hahahahahha

My dad said MechE or industrial would be anyones best bet job wise because like someone said it would be easier to get a job in aerospace with a mech degree than it would the other way around. so many areas jobs wise open for mechE.

Angry Citizen said:

Rofl.. See my first post. Haha

Angry Citizen said:

Haha...It doesn't work when the only girls you know are also rocket scientists.

jhae2.718 said:
Haha...It doesn't work when the only girls you know are also rocket scientists.

Dude: "Hey baby"
Chick: "Hi :D"
*mindless chit chat*
Chick: "So what do you do?"
Dude: "I'm a rocket scientist, baby. I can take you to the Moon..."

*four hours later*

Chick: "Okay, so to get to the Moon, we need a reasonable approximation of the change in Earth's acceleration as the rocket leaves orbit! g can be expressed in terms of s through the following integral..."
Dude: "sigh"

(This is probably going off-topic now, but seriously, I think we've covered the question nicely, though I'd still love to hear an answer to my previous question from someone in a hiring position :))

my dad said in his experience that he would pick a meche over an aeroe

I work in an Aerospace position and my degrees are in Mechanical. Mechanical is a little broader like folks have mentioned. That's why I chose it over Aerospace. It was a matter of having more options available just in case.

I'd have to say that, in general, the subject matter overlaps quite heavily. Aerospace engineers tend to be a bit more specialized and IMO that should be better left to graduate school if you intend on pursuing a graduate education.

It's my experience that the ME degree gives you better understanding of the fundamentals (thermo. for instance) and you still get to choose a few electives which can concentrate in aero. I think in either case your abilities will be more telling of your job opportunities than the degree conferred.

Full disclaimer: I'm have a BSME, a MS (computational engineering), and am finishing a Ph.D. in the same field. It's quite interdisciplinary and my studies focus heavily on multi-species (reacting) flow in CFD. Haha. Rocket science! My wife sometimes describes what I do that way to her friends. I wouldn't make an introduction that way, however. It never turns out very well unless stated with a flavor of good humor.

Related to Biggest differences between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

1. What is the main focus of aerospace engineering compared to mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering primarily focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft, while mechanical engineering encompasses a broader range of applications including machinery, vehicles, and various systems.

2. Are there significant differences in the coursework for aerospace and mechanical engineering?

While there are some overlapping courses, aerospace engineering students typically take more specialized courses in aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures, while mechanical engineering students may focus on areas such as materials, mechanics, and thermal systems.

3. How do the career paths differ between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineers may work for companies in the aerospace industry, such as airplane or spacecraft manufacturers, while mechanical engineers have a wider range of industries to choose from, including automotive, energy, and biomedical fields.

4. Is there a difference in job opportunities and salary between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

While both fields offer good job prospects and competitive salaries, aerospace engineers tend to have higher starting salaries due to the specialized nature of the industry and the demand for their skills.

5. Can someone with a degree in aerospace engineering work in the mechanical engineering field and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in job responsibilities, it is generally more difficult for someone with a degree in aerospace engineering to work in the mechanical engineering field and vice versa. However, with additional training and experience, it is possible to transition between the two fields.