Big Crunch/ Big Rip - Eqn of State

The result is a function proportional to T^((2+W)/3(W+1)). The universe reaches infinite scale factor at a finite time. This occurs when W is less than -1. In summary, in the equation of state, when W is -2, the density is proportional to a^3. Plotting a graph of density vs. scale factor results in a straightforward graph. However, this actually represents the "big rip" rather than the "big crunch". This is because as the scale factor approaches infinity, the density also approaches infinity, which implies a "big crunch". However, further research shows that an infinite energy density is actually needed for the "big rip" to occur. This may seem counterintuitive, but it
KGC
Hello, in the eqn of state [density prop. to a^-3(W+1)] if you subbed in W=-2 you get density prop. to a^3. If you then plot a graph of density vs. scale factor it is a straight-forward graph. Good up until then, but then I got the interpretation wrong. This represents the "big rip". But how? I figured that as scale factor goes to infinity then density goes to infinity, an infinite density implied a "big crunch" to me. On further research, it seems the graph was correct, but I interpreted it wrong. Apparently an infinite energy density is needed for the "big rip", but I don't get why this is. How can an "infinite density" tear the universe apart?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
KGC said:
Hello, in the eqn of state [density prop. to a^-3(W+1)] if you subbed in W=-2 you get density prop. to a^3. If you then plot a graph of density vs. scale factor it is a straight-forward graph. Good up until then, but then I got the interpretation wrong. This represents the "big rip". But how? I figured that as scale factor goes to infinity then density goes to infinity, an infinite density implied a "big crunch" to me. On further research, it seems the graph was correct, but I interpreted it wrong. Apparently an infinite energy density is needed for the "big rip", but I don't get why this is. How can an "infinite density" tear the universe apart?
Thanks for any help.

This might be a little late to help.

A big rip ocurs when the scale factor a goes to infinity at some *finite* time in the future. To show that this happens in this case, integrate the Friedmann equation to find the scale factor as a function of time.

Related to Big Crunch/ Big Rip - Eqn of State

What is the Big Crunch/ Big Rip?

The Big Crunch/ Big Rip is a theoretical event in the evolution of the universe, where the expansion of the universe is reversed and all matter and energy collapse into a single point.

What causes the Big Crunch/ Big Rip?

The Big Crunch/ Big Rip is caused by the gravitational forces within the universe. As the expansion of the universe slows down, the gravitational pull between galaxies becomes stronger, eventually leading to the collapse of the universe.

What is the equation of state for the Big Crunch/ Big Rip?

The equation of state for the Big Crunch/ Big Rip is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between the energy density and pressure of the universe. It can be used to predict the fate of the universe and determine whether it will end in a Big Crunch or Big Rip.

Can we observe the Big Crunch/ Big Rip?

As of now, the Big Crunch/ Big Rip is purely a theoretical concept and has not been observed. However, scientists continue to study the expansion of the universe and gather data to better understand the fate of the universe.

Is the Big Crunch/ Big Rip a confirmed theory?

The Big Crunch/ Big Rip is one of the possible outcomes predicted by current theories of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory and the theory of dark energy. However, it is still a subject of ongoing research and has not been confirmed by observations or experiments.